Find
Notify
Tools

Which Blank
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I have a 300 H&H project planned for next year. I have started collecting the peices. I have the action (Chuck Daly), bottom metal (Jeffeoso special) and a octagon barrel made by Wind River (we'll see). As the money has ran out to buy more peices I need to decide two things.

1. should I have the barrel turned half round

2. Which of these three blanks should I use

If and when Montana Rifleman comes out with their PH model action I will have a .416 Rigby project to do. I am thinking #83 for the .300 and one of the other two for the .416.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd use 83, I take it the top one doesnt have any finish on it, hard to tell about it, may look better with finish on it.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
My vote is for # 68. I like the lines.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
#68 is my favorite also. How about for the .416. If I use 68 for the 300 will 83 hold up the recoil?

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
There has got to be more opinions than this.

spinksranch.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without having these stocks in the shop it would be an equal choice. I would probably not make the 416 without a cross bolt at the recoil lug area and then glass bed the action without the glass showing in the inletting on the top side. I would use the fiber glass kit from Brownell's.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 68

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
68 as well.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I prefer the "83", the grain has a better match from the different sides. IMHO.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote