New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eddystone barrel steel ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having a Eddystone '17,rechambered to 308 Norma,how good is the barrel steel in 84 year old rifle ? The barrel is "sharp".Long and heavy makes it an easy to, practice rifle. "Dad,you can't miss with this "

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have a fortie's springfield barrel (on a VERY high number 1903) in 300 winnie.

308 norma is a "suggested" round for those rifles, 1903(a3) and 17.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
My understanding is that the possible problems with the Eddystone Enfield relate to brittle receivers, not barrel steel. Some (BUT NOT MOST)Eddystones had brittle receivers, sort of like the low-numbered Springfields, and some developed cracks. It has been recommended to have them magnafluxed to see if there are any hidden cracks before using them, especially with high-intensity rounds like the .308 Norma. But the barrel should be OK.

[ 12-19-2002, 18:49: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Original '17 barrels are getting scarce and valuable. I would not rechamber one. Sell it on E-bay and use the money to buy a good barrel.

[ 12-19-2002, 20:21: Message edited by: scot ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like good rifles,good barrels are not sold,this one has shot five touching with a an old Weaver 4x.Besides this is a sporter with an old Herters muzzle brake.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote