New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN supreme?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whats a FN supreme action? Does it have the bolt sleeve with no safety ?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
The one I had, had the safety along the side with a shroud much like the Interarms Mark X. The Deluxe had the safety like the Model 50 used on the JC Higgins rifles. The Interarms was copied from the FN. On the Supreme rifle, the wood to metal fit should be excellent, the wood nice, and the blueing will be "rust blued." It should also have the fancy crest on the receiver, which is why I sold mine, I couldn't bring myself to drill and tap it, and I don't own guns that I don't hunt with. It might also have some engraving.

They are outstanding examples of "Old World Craftsmanship", (maybe post-war craftsmanship would be more accurate) that would cost you thousands to duplicate today. Between it, the pre-64 Model 70's, and the Brownings that used the FN actions, a man would be hard pressed to find better manufactured guns by a major manufacturer.

"They don't makem like that no more!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JBab, I called the gun shop back and it says Sears Heritage MK IX Supreme (not prestige).

It did have nice wood , Safety long side comming up from the trigger , and a sleeve like a interarms. hinged floor plate. It had a scope on it. Glossy blue, Probably 95%, excelent condition and mint bore.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found one on gunbroker (link below) but not going to pay that much for it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33380566

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yeh, the one on Gunbroker "sorta" looks like one, but not exactly like the one I had. Mine had much nicer wood than that, with more red and less muddy brown cast to it. Mine also had a nice rich, deep, but not glazed appearing blue, and didn't have that schlock butt pad that some putz put on the one they are selling.
The stock lines of my original were also somewhat different, with a more shallow curve to the pistol grip, and a less bulky, more slender appearance over-all...what I would call a "finer" conformation if I was describing a horse...more of a polo pony's lines than those of a buggy-dragger. All good guns, though.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the FN was a 98 mauser action commercially made in the late 50's and early 60's. the standard action came with the wing type safe located on the bolt like the 98, the supreme came with an adjustable trigger and a side mounted safe locking only the trigger. lots of different makers used these actions

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would someone give an idea of how much the FN Mausers should cost? Yesterday I saw a number at Scheels in Appleton with a Monte Carlo type stock and the old style action with a flange like on Mausers in 458 Win, 7mm RM, 30-06 and a couple of other calibers for around $ 1800 each. I remember the 458 had a tag that said that it was made in 1959.

Earlier they had a 458 with an engraved action and very nice wood for which they wnated $ 3995 if I remember right but it was not available yesterday and may have been sold.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$250

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mehul, the actions alone are worth about $250. Original FN Deluxe or Supreme sporters usually go for around $700 in excellent original condition in the more common calibers.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006 the actions are worth $400ski. But cheap basturds like me find whole rifles for $250 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You mean JC Higgins FNs and the like. I find them too for $250, sometimes less. A factory FN Deluxe sporter, similar to a Browning Safari, not likely for $250 unless it's some widow, stolen, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
lots of different makers used these actions

Very true, and there seemed more than a little "cross-polination" between makers/sellers. Mine, for instance, was sold by Sears (I bought it new), but LOOKED like one of those built during that era by (for, really) Firearms International.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006/GSP7,

Thanks for the advice. The rifles were Browning Safari models and in good shape. No engraving etc which would probably have made them more valuable but Scheels do seem to want a premium. Big Grin

Best wishes and good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote