New
Find
Notify
Tools

Higher-End .308
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys,

A while ago I posted regarding input on a possible Howa-actioned Boyds-stocked .308 inexpensive project rifle. Thanks for all the input.

My thoughts have somewhat changed, and much like the Federal Government the budget has as well. While the Howa route is still on the table, I am considering one of the higher-end .308 factory jobs out there and wanted some opinions. What do you all think about the following:

1)Weatherby Accumark
2) Kimber 84 Stainless/Synthetic
3) Sako 75 Stainless/Synthetic

Are there any other high-end .308's to consider? I guess I'm just looking for something other than the standard RemBrownChester. I am set-up to load .308, and also I think its an efficient, versatile round. Thanks!

On a related note, a local gunshop has a Weatherby Accumark in .30-.378 Roy and a Stainless Sako 75 in .300 Roy. But, my thoughts are that these rounds are expensive to feed, pound the shoulder of this Southern-Illinois boy too much, and are too heavy. And methinks alot of guys buy these behemoths, are afraid to shoot them, and thus shoot them poorly. But, I found both to be well made, and liked the HS Precision stock on the Weatherby.

-Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just have to add.....cz 550 varmin in .308 the price will not be highre end but your accuracy will.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at a hunter, varmint, or tactical. I personally like the Rem 700 Varminter or PSS. The CZ 550 American is a nice hunter and their 550 Varmint synthetic is a sweetie.

The Kimber 84M in 308 is one of my favorites.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Check the Steyr Scout in .308 Win: you can change the scope to suit the mission, and it will do anything.

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=105

Or the new Steyr UltraLight if you want it fancy.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
U.S.R.A.C's Custom Shop offers what the call the Model 70 "Short Rilfe" that is really a good-looking piece of equipment. Great looking stock, match barrel, short controlled-feed action, short action calibers including .308 Win. I'd like of of those rifles in .308 myself!

Check it out:

www.winchester-guns.com

AD

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a higher end .308 I'd build it on a M-70 Classic action.....attach some pretty walnut of your choice and add some engraving maybe.....but there's absolutely nothing second class with Winchester's action.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has a synthetic stock, then you might as well get a savage cause there ain't no such thing as a high end rifle with a synthetic stock.

Just my opinionated opinion.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
There are high-end synthetic stock rifles alright, you just haven't owned any yet.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My SAKO's all shoot well, despite have some anxious moments recently due to some stainless sako rifles blowing up. Perhaps you read some of the threads. I love my Kimber but I hate the floor plate/follower setup in a rifle--just me-- but I really think a detachable mag is a better mousetrap. I don't know about the Weatherby at all, and I think some of the posters have given you some good ideas on other options. The SAUER 202 synthetic is sweet. I don't have a 308, but my 270 win is a real shooter. Just my .02
Have fun choosing!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the rifles you mention,the highest end is the Kimber, it would be my choice hands down...but if you really want a high end .308 I have a Dowtin Custom at a very reasonable price about a fourth of what you would normally pay for a Dowtin, but it still ain't cheap at $3400.00....It's on the classified and in gunlist.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Older Savage 99
Winchester 88 by Rock River
Browning BLR or Medallion
SAUER 202 or 90
Styer Model M

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...and liked the HS Precision stock on the Weatherby.

-Eric

That's a Bell & Carlson knock-off, NOT an H-S Precision stock.
Weatherby (and Remington) discontinued use of the H-S Precision stocks shortly after the AccuMark (and Sendero and VS stocks for Remington) came out.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have that sako 75 S/S in .308

so far it has worked as planned and is easy on the shoulder

no complaints here

i like the DBM much better than a floorplate-not even close

I like the all stainless construction

I like the trigger adjustability through the magazine well, no need to take action out of stock to adjust

i like the integral mounting rails

i like the smoothness of the bolt and how it feeds

I like the push feed with the fixed ejector

who else makes a factory push feed with a fixed ejector, the only ones i know of use plungers

I like the short bolt lift do to the 3 lug design

The bolt is all machined from 1 piece of bar stock, no soldered on handles

its not perfect but its a good gun for hunting

I have a SAKO AV action and its not nearly as smooth/slick as the 75

I think sako should put Mcmillans on these like they used to on their fiberclass rifles. if you spend a grand it shouldnt be plastic! thats the only thing i really dont like about it, and the fact that i bought one with a key crap lock that would cost 140$ to switch off now. You can now buy them without the lock. Mine is a stoeger import, so I have no idea what Beretta has done to Sako since they took over.

1 more thing that the 75 should have-- -AN INTEGRAL RECOIL LUG

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice summation of the Sako 75 issues, good and bad.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote