THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a Ruger#1 from 25-06 to 257Roberts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I know I know, here I am again with another post about a Ruger#1 and the 257 Roberts. As mentioned before, I want a #1 because I'm LEFTY, and I want it with a Stainless barrel and Laminate stock because of the humid coastal climate I call home.

Can someone give me an idea of what it would take to re-chamber a #1 Stainless Standard from 25-06 to 257 Roberts? Is this even the best way to start something like this?

Why would I go to the trouble and expense to end up with less performance? I don't want another 06 family case in my collection and I expect that the 257 will give me enough power for deer, reasonable speeds with varmint weight bullets and decent barrel life, recoil and muzzle blast. If I'm mistaken in any of this, please share your experience.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo, this could turn out to be money pit especially if the factory barrel doesn't shoot. I'm lefty and understand what you are going through. I would recommend finding an old Rem LH, even a 30-06 length and send it out for a barrel replacement in your caliber of choice and have the thing parkerized or coated with one of those new fangled finishes. Slap it into a H.S. stock and call it a day.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
unless you just want the roberts case (i know I do) you can't gain anything from this. Just load the 25-06 down to 257 (150fps slower)

Or, Have a smith cut off the correct length for "cleanup" of the chamber, , at LEAST .261, and retime the barrel/sights.

I don't know if the ruger has enough (it should) meat in the barrel to clean up.

cost, if it's straight forward, no more than $125

jeffe

[ 04-16-2003, 17:35: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Gonzo---

The 25-06 is longer and bigger in the shoulder.

You can rechamber a Roberts to a Neider but not the other way.

I thought about you Saturday at the Boise gunshow. There was a like new Roberts Number One there for $525.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeoso:

One thing you forgot to mention; if it has the rib scope mount, by the time you shorten the barrel up enough to clean up the chamber, and , yes it can be done, you will have removed the rear mounting holes in the barrel and the rib will have to be fitted with 4 new holes plus the dowel pin holes and you will have the original two (3) holes left in the barrel. My opinion, it ain't worth it and you should have bought that LH 257 custom I have for sale.

Or, Have a smith cut off the correct length for "cleanup" of the chamber, , at LEAST .261, and retime the barrel/sights.

Jim

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote