Find
Notify
Tools

barrel's second life as a muzzle weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
I wanted to have a muzzle weight comparable to my supressor for when I was shooting cast bullets in the hope that the similar weight, on this very light barrel profile, may help to give similar harmonics and with the ability to be screwed back to have the muzzle cap almost at the barrel muzzle all the way out to 2 1/2 inches from it. I had a well used 7x61 S&H barrel under the bench and thought it might get a second life as part of my little 6.5 GM. I had a bit of a drawing session and this looked like it might work.

After a morning with a farm engineer friend we came up with this. At the bottom of the pic is the supressor about where it would sit if it was on the barrel with the thread protector above it, with the rifle in qusetion then the new barrel nut (threaded in and outside) with the chamber end of the barrel cut of for its second life. Had to turn it down from 1 3/16 to 1 3/32 to get to the desired weight so the old reciever thread was cut off and a new thread turned on. A muzzle cap was made with a 33 cal hole andall given a bit of a clean-up. When the desired position is found for it I can centre punch the thread at either end of the muzzle nut to keep it from self adjusting and it will be able to be put on and taken off as need arrises for some cast bullet shooting rather than the A Max that the scope is set for with the suporessor on board.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote