New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 -> .577/600NE?
 Login/Join

<glock20rocks>
posted
OK, according to SSK's website going to a .577 NE shouldn't be a problem. What about .600NE? I've seen some pics of Ross Seyfried's .600NE single-shot, and it looks like a #1 (Rifle, July 2001), but I'm not that great at ID'ing rifles [Frown]

I'll be getting a #1 in .458 Winchester soon and want something with a wee bit more punch [Smile]

Also, can the CZ-550 be converted to either of those rounds?

Any help/input/'smith recommendations would be great!

[ 05-27-2003, 02:31: Message edited by: glock20rocks ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
SSK makes the 600 JDJ; just a 577NE blown out straight. It'll get you close and still fit in the action.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross' .600 is a Giles Whittome falling block. I think prices *start* around $15k.

Depending on who you talk to, the .577 in a #1 is either just fine or marginal. Ross Seyfried stated in his article for Rifle on the No. 1 that the 3" .577 Nitro Express is "in the opinion of [Hamilton] Bowen and other wise men, marginally too much for the Ruger action." He says the 2.75" .577 Nitro is alright, though. He also likes the .577 Snider in the No. 1.

Putting either round into a CZ 550 would be either impossible or so difficult, costly, and frustrating that it's probably not worth trying. Bolt actions and rimmed cartridges don't really play well together.

If you want a .577 in a bolt rifle, you turn to the .585 Nyati or the .577 T-Rex. They both duplicate the .577 NE in a rimless case that plays nicer with bolt actions. With the strength of a bolt rifle, you can also load 'em up hotter than the old Nitro Express round.

Robgunbuilder designed and is building the .600 Overkill on a highly modified CZ 550 action. I think he's just waiting on brass from Horneber right now. It will easily match the .600 NE, and should be able to go a lot hotter, if you're crazy/dumb enough to try [Smile]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
glock20rocks
Take a hard look at the 577 Nitro 2 3/4" in the Ruger No1. In a modern, strong rifle with modern powders the 2 3/4" case makes a lot of sense.
It will have all the power you need.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote