Find
Notify
Tools

M99 action arrived
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
I was just over at my local dealers to look at the new-in-the-box Montana Rifleman M99 action -- this one is a standard length (H&H length mag box), right hand, chrome moly, .532 bolt face action.

This is the first of two actions that will be the prototypes for my line of PH working rifles. Since I don't have an FFL for this business yet, I had to have the action shipped to a licensed dealer (and a real pain in the neck that is in California now).

I am happy that it is finally here -- I sent my initial order to MR on March 6, '02. I did use the waiting time to figure out which barrel to use and what stock.

These prototype rifles will be .458 Lotts, which is my standard caliber for this rifle.

This is the third M99 I have had hands-on experience, and my opinion is it was worth waiting for. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Rod@MRC>
posted
Just received the following by email. A great way to end the day.

company: JIMS CUSTOM GUNS

phone: 806 749-1538

comments: HEY, I JUST WANTED TO DROP YOU A LINE AND LET YOU KNOW THAT I JUST RECEIVED MY 458 LOTT BARRELED ACTION FROM YOU FOLKS. I REALLY CAN’T PUT INTO WORDS THE WAY I FEEL RIGHT NOW ABOUT THE 1999 ACTION. I HAVE BOUGHT A LOT OF ACTIONS IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS, INCLUDING 3 DAKOTA AFRICAN ACTIONS. I BUILT SOME VERY FINE CUSTOM GUNS OUT OF EACH OF THEM AND THEY ALL WERE USED TO HUNT SOUTH AFRICA. NOW BACK TO THE 1999 ACTION. HOT DAMN THATS A GOOD ACTION. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE TRIGGER ON IT. ITS THE FIRST WINCHESTER STYLE TRIGGER THAT I WONT TOUCH, IT PERFECT JUST THE WAY IT IS. DONT GET ME WRONG WINCHESTER TRIGGERS ARE GOOD FROM THE FACTORY, AS ARE THE TRIGGERS ON THE DAKOTAS. YOUR TRIGGER ON MY 458 LOTT IS PERFECT. AS FOR THE REST OF THE ACTION IT IS GORGEOUS. IN MY OPINION IT IS AS GOOD LOOKING AN ACTION AS THE DAKOTAS. I AM REFERING TO FIT AND FINISH. I SLIPPED THE BOLT IN AND AS I EASED DOWN ON IT I FELT IT TIGHTEN JUST A LITTLE JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

ANY WAY I KNOW I AM PROBABLY BABBLING SO I WILL CUT IT SHORT. YOU FOLKS HAVE COME UP WITH "THE ACTION". I WILL BE CALLING TO SET UP FOR SOME MORE NEXT WEEK. I WANT TO GET IN ON THE SHORT ACTIONS FOR 350.00. I HOPE YOU CAN KEEP YOUR PRICES AT THE CURRENT LEVEL BUT THE ACTIONS ARE A DEAL AT TWICE THE PRICE. YOU HAVE A LIFE-LONG CUSTOMER HERE. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND THANKS. BEST REGARDS
JAMES MILLS
JIMS CUSTOM GUNS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cripes don't tell a vendor that his product is "a deal at twice the price"! As Shakespeare said "He who is satisfied is well paid".

I can't have much more fun than this. I have two actions on order and the anticipation is part of the enjoyment.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Jim,
It is good to hear all of the good reviews, mine should be here next week, can hardly wait to get it in my grubby little hands. Then it is off to Sterling Davenport for him to do his magic in the .416 Hoffman caliber.
George

[ 02-20-2003, 03:33: Message edited by: George Hoffman ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Good to see you posting! Be sure to show us photos of this rifle of yours! [Smile]

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
George,

I am glad to read you are "leaning forward in the foxhole" and building a new .416 Hoffman. [Wink] As well as the 25" barrel, what are the other details? Enquiring minds want to know!

I got your book, and it was an excellent read. Thank you for the inscription by the way.

I expect you will be pleased with your M99 action, I certainly am with mine.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote