Find
Notify
Tools

Can�t Get No Action....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted
I can remember a kinder and gentler time when rifle actions grew on trees. Sako A5's, Winchester 70s, and Remington 700 actions were plentiful and cheap. With one simple phone call and a few hundred dollars, a new action was in the mail - I was spoiled and I thought it would never change.

Fast forward to today. I want to build two field guns and cannot find new Winchester or Remington magnum actions anywhere. Everywhere I call I get the same advice - go to the local Wally World buy a new gun and strip it.

Sure, for $900+ bucks I can grab a Nesika Bay or for $1800+ find a Dakota action, however, my intent was to build two all-weather field guns without going to a full custom rifle with the full custom price tag.

Am I simply pissing in the wind or is there a hidden goldmine out there where all the old Remington and Winchester actions are hiding? Does someone have a few actions under their pillow they are interested in parting with? This reality thing really sucks....

[ 10-31-2002, 00:14: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Zero Drift

I suggest you visit a local gun show and troll the tabels and racks. If not start cruise the gunshops or gunlist.

I know that you can get new a% sako actions from germany, but they are not cheap and there is some paper work to do [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<carbonman>
posted
Z-Man,
Here's a link with an example of what we discussed this morning.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3428471

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Mike. The hunt continues....

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Zero, I purchased, just today, a pre-64 Model 70 rifle (169XXX SN range), completely original and unaltered, for $550 which I intend to strip for the action for a custom rifle project. The local gunstore I purchased it from had a wide selection of second-hand, reasonably-priced Remington and Winchester rifles which would be very suitable for the sort of custom rifle project you've described. If you'd like, e-mail me your first-choice preferences and I can cherry-pick a couple of rifles for you and forward them to your FFL holder.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy brand new Rem 700 actions in any configuration you want from Chester's in New York but the "good old days" are over. Shucks I remember buying used, like-new Winchester Model 21's for less than $1,000 but like my grandson says..."get over it Grandpa".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Zero,

Who do you know at Nesika? You need to introduce me to them...$900 is a steal.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Roger - The J, K, L, & T actions are on sale for $900+/-. The C and V action are on sale for $1000 and the E, M, and S are on sale for $1130.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the new Legacy actions? The latest NRA magazine has an article about a rifle built on this action. Supposed to be a Mauser 98 copy made in Italy for under 300 bucks!

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
PAWN SHOPS RULE!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote