THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need help estimating value of German-made sporting rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help estimating value of German-made sporting rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Folks, I don't have any pictures of it, but I have worked on this rifle so I'm very familiar with it. The owner has offered to sell it to me but I want to get opinions as to current value.

Rifle was made by Ernst Steigleder, Berlin-Suhl sometime in the '20s. Caliber 9.3 x62; half octogon to round barrel on a Mauser 98 action (serial number on action puts manufacture in 1909); double set triggers; lever floorplate release; Greener safety; claw mount bases. Stock is very interesting in that it has a detachable cheekpeice so that once the scope is removed the cheekpeice can be removed quickly to facilitate open sights. Original bluing is approxicmately 90%. Stock sports a schanbel forend and a late-model Pachmyer pad. Stock is not refinished but shows moderate wear, with small chip at the toe.

What do you fellas think it's worth?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
How bout a picture??? hillbilly

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Sorry, don't have any pictures.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of 9.3x62 rifles similar to that over the years. They usually change hands for $1200-1500, depending on how nice it is.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not real familiar with the pricing on these as it always seemed quite variable to me. I always check the going rate on the aution sites. Here's a couple:

Auction Arms
Gunbroker 1
Gunbroker 2

Not matches but gives an idea.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'd also say 1200-1500, maybe more, possibly less, depending. Much less if non-ribbed barrel. If scope and rings are missing the matched claw mount bases, take off some. Also, if front base is dovetailed into ring, hurts even more.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs. You guys are confirming what I figured--$1200 - $1500. Guy want $2000 which includes dies and some brass. Rifle has a later model German scope, mounted with a Rube Goldberg modern ring and claw mount adaptor setup which IMO is worthless. I'm going to pass on it at that price.

Thanks again,

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TTM,

just looked at one in 7x64 a little while back. Standard Guild Gun. 75% overall, a few handling dings. FL rib, original claw mount scope...$800 IIRC.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Thanks for the inputs. You guys are confirming what I figured--$1200 - $1500. Guy want $2000 which includes dies and some brass. Rifle has a later model German scope, mounted with a Rube Goldberg modern ring and claw mount adaptor setup which IMO is worthless. I'm going to pass on it at that price.

Thanks again,

I must concur with your decision. I would skip it too, especially with a 1909 made action, and that strange detachable cheekpiece!

"Hold up a second, there, Herr Wildschwein! I need to detach my cheekpiece before we can proceed!"

I do suppose it is, however, a good example of the thinking that went into making up some of those German custom rifles. Maybe it should be in a museum!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote