New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Action and Small Diameter Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the M98 action such as the VZ24 or mid-length 24/47 or M48 be made to feed and extract the .223 or 7.62x39 size cases? Feeding from a mag is not a requirement (would be a plus) but single feeding would be. Is it a matter of bushing the bolt face and extending the extractor? I can't remember seeing it done but I have several actions and a couple small case projects I would like to play with and they don't justify buying a proper action for them.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushing the bolt face is easy, extending the extractor is touchy. Brownell's sells an extended extractor though, so your problem is solved. I used a Rem 788 magazine hidden inside the magazine well, others will also work.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On another forum I seen where a guy used a 93 mauser action to build a 7.62x39 except he cut off the mauser bolt head and pinned a savage bolt head of the correct size in it's place. Apparently you can buy the savage bolt heads from somewhere.

He also had it feeding from single stack magazine of some sort.

I'll have to try and find that thread.

Roger

here's one. I'm not sure if this is the same one I seen before.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cg...=3;t=25347;hl=gunbum

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote