New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X trigger and safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother is having a bit of trouble with his 7MM Mag. Mark X trigger and safety. In looking at it (after taking it out of the stock) the trigger and safety seem completely locked up. It is not in the cocked position, and the bolt will not lift up in order to cycle the bolt.
Nothing appears broken.
Any ideas of something I could try before taking it off and sending it to somebody to take a look at.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loosen the screw in the front tang of the trigger to remove/loosen it up a bit. The bolt should then move

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, it could have an overload or undersized round stuck in the chamber. It could also be that the safety is stuck in the safe position. Try soaking the trigger in solvent or hosing it down and working the safety. Those safeties were prone to gumming up in the click device. I would first try to determine if there is a case or round stuck in the chamber. A metal cleaning rod should make a tinking noise against the bolt face. The ring of brass is a lot more dead sounding.

If you end up sending it to some one, don't just send the trigger or barreled action. Send the whole gun.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The best solution is throw that crap MKx trigger away and buy a Timney or Bold.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I checked to make sure there wasn't a round in It before I even took it out of the stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The best solution is throw that crap MKx trigger away and buy a Timney or Bold.

Bold is out of the Mauser trigger business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've installed two of these in my mausers, was extremelly satisfied:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1218/9064/products/4168PPH4HFL.jpeg?v=1458680122

https://alaskaarmsllc.com/prod...ester-model-70-style

Only downside is the cost.

The problem I had with the Mark x triggers is that if you adjust them down to a reasonable pull and creep, the safety is unreliable. I eventually just put a 3 position model 70 safety on them, and a model 70 type trigger. Then, comparing the result and the cost, I just had to ask myself why I hadn't started with a pre-64 model 70?.......

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The early Mark X safety would lock the bolt. The later safety had that tab cut off and it allowed you to lift the bolt while on safety.

I had the factory trigger on a number of Mark Xs. Never had an issue with them once they are adjusted. Do wish Bold had not given up on the mauser trigger. Might have to try one of the M70 style (oops never mind for $220 I'll live with the factory of buy 2 Timney)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Loosen the screw in the front tang of the trigger to remove/loosen it up a bit. The bolt should then move

Thank you for that tip. Loosened that screw and was able to them move the entire trigger housing. But bolt would still not lift up so took off the forward and rear screws that hold the safety lever on. I don't know why it mattered, but was then able to lower the trigger even more from the action. Bolt now opens and closes (as noted, there was no round in the chamber as I checked before). trigger appears a bit dirty.
Is the drift from right to left or left to right?

(thanks for the tips suggesting he replace the trigger. Unfortunately he is not in a financial position to do so. He wouldn't even be able to shoot if I didn't buy components and load shells for him!)

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It does sort of sound like the safe is stuck rearward and when you pulled it down it let the tab disengage from the bolt. The little dohicky that the safe moves back and forth is probably full of polymerized oil.

Lacquer thinner and sewing machine oil will eat it out !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chucker, I will give that a try.
Appreciate everyone's help.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Utah; yes Bold is no longer making triggers but I found a supply of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it unstuck. But it is still acting up.
When I cock it, it fires fine and the safety will go on. But the safety doesn't work as it will fire when the safety is on.

I have a feeling it has something to do with that safety adjust screw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Utah; yes Bold is no longer making triggers but I found a supply of them.

Were you the guy who outbid me on a group of them at a local (I am in PA now.) auction a month or so ago? Wink

I gave up when the price approached almost twice the original retail.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the safety doesn't work as it will fire when the safety is on

The safety must be adjusted. The screw on the pivot must be adjusted so it makes contact with the trigger when in the safe position.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. Got it working.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, I have not been to PA in 30 years. Maybe 40.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of Jard M-98 triggers and I can tell you, I have bought my last Timney, and I probably have at least 30 rifles with Timney.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For $110 I'll have to try one of those Jards. Are the pull weights adjustable? Since I only use a 98 action for hunting I don't want a pull weight less than 3# and they all look lighter than that.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K