New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Mag Action Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
May be an idiot question but since I don't know I'll ask.

I ended up w/a M70 .270 WSM, long story but it was so cheap I could not afford to pass on it. Not like I really need one of these so I'm thinking can either turn it into something else or resell and pocket some coin.

The question is this, are the actions on the Winchester Short Mag dimensionally different enough from a standard Winchester short action that there would be feeding or other problems if I was to rebarrel it to say a .308?

Thanks,

ned

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt would have to be changed from the Mag to the 308.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It might make a good 6.5 Rem Mag, or .350 Rem Mag. No crying need for either, but it might at least shoot something exactly the right buyer would find more interesting. But I'll bet it would be easier to sell at a profit in the cartridge it's chambered for now.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I just built a .416 WSM that appears to be a shooter. We are still working on loads. It is a big bore rifle without the recoil. We got 2300 fps with 350 gr. bullets that's 4111 foot/pounds at the muzzle. It has recoil just not what you would expect. What a pig gun!
Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question is this, are the actions on the Winchester Short Mag dimensionally different enough from a standard Winchester short action that there would be feeding or other problems if I was to rebarrel it to say a .308?

I would suggest a .300 SAUM. Tom re-built a .300 WSM to .300 SAUM for me and I am quite happy with the results. No feeding problems. Shoots better then the .300 WSM ever did.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation: Had a fellow Guild member send me a 1909 he had chambered to 300 WSM...didn't feed Duh! These cases actually require a wider box than a traditional belted mag.

Not sure where I put the "importance" of super short, super fat cartridges!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300rcm or .338rcm.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote