THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-assembly of Browning B-78, or Browning 1885?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone here explain the re-assembly procedure for a Browning B-78, or 1885 Browning?

Thanks very much! Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'll try: Put all the pieces back where they came from. Wink

They can be a bitch, and I've done a few, but I'll be damned if I could explain how to do it. I sort of just fiddle with the pieces and once in a while they pop right together, and other times I end up saying lots of bad words before they go.

An isometric drawing can help; do you have one? I could fax you one if you need it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I've had to put one of these gems back together, but, it seems to me that I ended up having to fully compress the hammer springs, in place, marking and drilling a small hole in each of the guides so that I could insert a small .040 piece of piano wire into to keep them back and out of the way while Fanagling the rest of the unit into place.

I'm sure Browning has a fancy way of reassembling these, but they are not likely to share this with you. You are pretty much on your own. The only other thing I can tell you without the benefit of having one of these on the bench to look at, is you have to study all the pieces, and the order in which they come back through the hole. Utilize slave pins if you need to. Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my comments in the Single Shot section.
No drilling necessary !!

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
See my comments in the Single Shot section.
No drilling necessary !!

From the Single Shot section:

quote:
Originally posted by mete:
There's only one trick to it but I can't remember offhand ! Frowner
I'll look for a drawing , maybe that will refresh my memory .
Don't hold me on this , it's been a long time ! But IIRC the logical reassembly sequence won't work. That would be to install the lever last. Instead the trigger goes in last .It's put in the receiver but not pinned.Lever installed , then finally the trigger is pinned.

There, now the folks won't have to bounce back and forth to see your comments.

Like I said, as I recall, the job of reassembling the B-78 is much easier when the hammer spring and guides are held in the 'cocked' position freeing ones hands to tend to other details of assembly. One way to accomplish this, with the least amount of frustration, is to drill and restrain the hammer spring assembly's with a small piece of wire.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gentlemen:
i'm headed into b78 disassembly/assembly soon. in poking around (a lot of digging necessary), i came up with these two resources. i found a copy of browning's "field assembly manual", but even better, i found Wayne McLerran and his self-published book, BROWNING MODEL 1885 BPCR. this book has almost everything you need to know about "smithing" a B78, 1885 or the BPCR whether it be a Browning or Winchester. All were made by Miroku in Japan. $54.95 autographed and shipped. wayne@texas-mac.com or the website www.texas-mac.com

Posts: 28 | Location: salem, oregon | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Smither,
After going crazy a few times and wanting to go to Browning and destroy the phone "menu" I finally got a tool of sorts from a guy named John Stepp in S. Cal.Included is a 10 page lesson in dealing with the blasted things. If you want a copy of the literature let me know. I cannot make my scanner work but if you have a fax I can send the info to you. VERY explicit!! Also a pic of the tools he made. If you intend to screw around with the 78s and 85s you might want to try and contact Stepp and get his tool. This will really let you sleep at night.
John Stepp
26687 Dersch Rd.
Shingletown, Ca--96088
[530] 366-7036
Aloha, mark
kailuacustom@msn.com

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOHICA:
could you kindly fax me a copy of that info? i'd like to compare notes with the book i bought from Wayne McLerran. McLerran mentions Mr. Stepp, his method and tools in the book.
Thank you very much, sir!

ATTENTION: GREG SMITH
503-363-4613

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,
Just got the stuff on the way. I included the original 2 pages of the Browning Take-Down too. They are the first two pages then the Stepp info. please let me know you got it ok and also where you got the book you refer to.
Aloha, Mark
kailuacustom@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks a ton, bohica! the website for ordering the book is in my post above. great book if only for this (assembly/disassembly), but lots of good info for those interested in the B78/1885/BPCR. i'd be curious to see detailed info on the inner workings of the original Browning/Winchester 1885, too.
greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only nut still messing around with these! I remember making my 6mm PPC many years ago. What a cluster F@@k!!! I didn`t think I`d EVER get the headspace right and the blaster Canjar trigger in. Well!! It was worth it in the long run. It shoots sub 1/2" if I can--I`ll most likely sell it soon with the original 6mm Rem tapered octagon barrel and all the loading etc. Just too much to carry and I also built another 6 PPC on a Winchester FW that shoots about as well. Only thing is!! I KNOW, just as soon as I sell it I`ll have "sellers remorse" before the new owner even gets out the driveway. Glad I was able to help you.
Aloha, mark