Find
Notify
Tools

Lightening a safety
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted
We have a Marlin 15Y. Bolt action, single shot, youth, 22. The safety is very hard to switch on and off. Is there an easy and safe way to lighten it? Can the whole trigger mechanism be replaced by something else? The safety is my main concern.

Thanks
Robin

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with that particular model, but try the following and see if it helps you.

Pull the barreled action out of the stock so you can see what is going on...or not going on...when you work the safety.

This may sound simplistic, but its nonetheless normally true. If you have the mechanical skills necessary to be working on your rifle you will also have the ability and understanding of mechanics to see what is causing the safety to be so stiff.

Obviously you want to look for shiny wear marks on the parts, gunk, bent parts, marks on the stock where it might be rubbing, etc.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to add; be very sure before you remove any metal. Look for burrs, lack of lubrication ect.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ummm, use a modified skeet/trap safety? That is to say, bolt open = safety on, bolt closed = ready to fire.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, that's pretty much what we are doing, but it's a kids gun and I am trying to encourage the use of the safety, but eve I have problems with the safety.

Robin

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.