New
Find
Notify
Tools

03A3 feeding problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when cycling my 03A3, the bolt meets with resistance as the cartridge rim is forced under the extractor (the rims must be snapped under the extractor with bolt removed, I tried a different bolt and it was the same). as a result, a little brass is shaved off of the cartridge case. is that normal?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
That sound pretty normal, and the way I prefer mine to be. I want the cartridge or case to be held against the bolt face by the extractor. I can feel it being pushed under the claw.

In truth, the problem I encounter more frequently is an extractor that doesn't grip the rim tightly enough. There are, of course, minor variations in rim thickness from brand to brand. I have a box of spare extractors that I use to get the grip I desire.

You should be able to push the bolt home very slowly and watch the cartridge come up off the rails and start to engage the claw, then feel it snug under the claw and fully enter the chamber. You should feel the slight pressure that accomplishes this, but it shouldn't bind there.

When you pull the bolt back, the case should be held against the bolt face by the extractor, and stay fixed there until contact with the ejector.

I've never had much problem accomplishing this with 30-06's and others of that same case. I have encountered some slight differences when using 35 Whelen brass......changing to another extractor will solve it.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks. it does bind. if I cycle it quickly, it binds less, but if I cycle it slowly, it binds more. it's the very bottom inner corner of the extractor snapping over the inside portion of the groove above the rim. if I removed that corner, so the inner edge of the extractor was a radius from the top to the middle, but then extended straight down from the middle to the bottom, then there would be no bind, but I am hesitant to make such a mod.

thanks again.