New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Belgian Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the general opinion of the FN actioned Browning rifles. A friend has one in 30-06 he wants to sell. The metal is perfect and the stock has only a few dings on it. Do these rifles usually shoot good? What is the approximate value. Thanks.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are some of the best factory rifles ever made. I have seen them sell for $700 on up.

Others may be in better position than me to quote you an average selling price.

FN actions whether stamped Browning, H&R, or FN are good actions. Some folks do pay more for the Browning name, though.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of the saltwood stocks on some of these rifles. You can never stop the rusting. otherwise they are very good rifles. I own one in .338WM, and it will shoot under 1" all day long.

[ 10-13-2003, 06:41: Message edited by: arty ]

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I saw a "no salt wood" 30-06 go for 700 about a year ago. Have not seen any go that cheap since. I was looking for a 375 H&H at the time. They seem to go for more and I did not find one.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been working with and shooting one in 30-06 -- it does not belong to me but to a friend.

This particular firearm is not the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, but, with judicious handloading, it becomes more than adequate for big game hunting out to reasonable distances -- say 250 yards.

The metalwork on this rifle is exemplary -- perhaps the best I've ever seen on a factory rifle. The stock on this particular one is unusually well-figured. I understand that Browning sometimes put their more fancy stocks on unfancy rifles when those stocks were what they had on hand.

I think that these rifles tend to go for $700 to $1000 and up.

The only complaint I'd make against this rifle is that it is a bit heavy as compared to other more recent rifles that tend to be lighter weight. If you were carrying it all day, that would matter.

[ 10-13-2003, 21:22: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is not a saltwood stocked rifle, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I ran across a 1964 vintage Browning Safari in almost NIB condition about a month ago and bought it without hesitation. Depending on caliber and condition expect to pay between $700-1100 for one.

TreeFarmer

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will shoot this rifle in a couple of weeks, and if it shoots good I would like to restock it with a stock of the same demensions of Pre WWII German Sporters. Either by reshaping the original stock [I do not think it is salt wood] or with a totally new stock.
This would make JOHAN happy as then I would have a CF Mauser actioned rifle. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all of you with a saltwood rifle- I sent mine to SSK for their hard chrome. I have not had any problems since. It was not that expensive. Looks like stainless, but much harder.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote