THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help: Is my Winchester 70 Bottom metal bent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

Apologies for the possibly "stupid" question, but I am having a moment of anxiety here.

I have this Model 70 project that has been in the queue for a while and I just was getting ready to bed it to the Mcmillan stock when I discovered, I believe, that the guard is bent. It looks like the rear tang os bent upward toward the receiver. This is what it looks like in the bottom metal inlet as well.

Basically looks like what might happen if someone went to town tightening the rear guard screw while the action was removed from the stock. NB: I never did this, but the rifle in question has travelled to a few gunsmiths so who knows how and when this may have occurred.

I am attaching a pic which I tried to show this. I believe that the rear tang should angle "down" slightly relative to a parallel line drawn from the mag box rails, correct?

I don't have another post-64 1-pc Assy to compare to, so any help advise, comments, etc would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is about right. I have one of the "dop box" ones, deeper, that the rear tang is indeed parallel to the bottom. Been trying to figure out how I got it, don't need it and if anyone needs an extra round magazine/bottom metal, let me know.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Even if it is bent slightly it will be easy to straighten. I wouldn't worry about it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbart2:
A few thousandths shouldn't affect function. Looks like a 'cast part' so easy on it if you try and back it off.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the replys, and apologies for the delay.

Turns out it was bent, not sure how??!?.

Anyhoo, this is a Williams unit and I contacted them about it. They had me send it in to have a look at, and lets just say that their customer service is without equal!!

I am a happy customer and proudly support the Williams Firearms co!! They make great units and have great support!