THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who knows Weatherby rifles & scope mounts??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been studying sales sites and have an e-mail into leupold but no luck. I have a 1996 mark v 300 wby ultralight with 9 lugs. Does this action use the same scope mounts as any Mark V weatherby?? On some sales sites I see mounts for the Mark V and then different part numbers for the ultralight/lightwight. I'm thinking those ultralights might just have a six lug action and thus use different mounts.

Bottom line...if I order normal Mark V mounts are they right for my ultralight?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
You need bases for the LightWeight, Ultra Light for that model. The receiver front to rear are a different diameter then the regular Mark V. Check the Leupold web site for the info you need.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, it depends on the caliber. The mags take different than the standard calibers. I went through this with mine too. I had an '06 and got the mag mounts and they didn't fit. I have been using the Talley Lightweights on most everything lately. Just remember, the Weatherby's, with that high comb need higher mounts. I made that mistake too.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.....I think I now have the answer. Bruce... I took that part number from Midway and put it into Talleys website and it says for an ultralight....but only a 6 lug ultralight. I called talley and they said if it's got 9 lugs it needs the normal mark V rings. I have a friend that had the same problem about 5 yrs ago and just wanted to make darn sure I knew what was happening.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm chiming in a bit too late but you're correct. The 9 lug version is a standard Mark V action. The 6 lug version is a smaller action which takes different mounts.

Best regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote