Find
Notify
Tools

I Give Up: Differences 'Tween P14 and P17
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Yes, yes I searched and found no posts expounding the differences except the p14 bolt being a little larger in diameter.
I looked at my accidentally purchased .375 H&H on a p14 and my .500 A-Sq on a p17 and except for some monir machine work differences there are none I can see.
Can any of you p14/p17 experts fill the Nimrod in?
Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have never seen a P14. Until I read these forums I always thought that they were just an M17 set up to feed the 303. Was not aware that the P14 bolt was bigger in diameter. How muchbigger is the diameter.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Roger compare the feed angels under the feed rails. There is quite a bit of difference there. The 14 is profiled to feed the 303 & the 17 the 30-06

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the actual bolt is different in diameter between the two; what is different is the size of the bolt face, .480" or so for the P-17 (30-06 case head) and .540" for the P-14 (303 case head / rim).

The underside, the feed rails, are quite different. Your P-14 has been modified to feed the 375 H&H, unless it's a single shot. If you want I can scan the bottom of a virgin P-14 and e-mail it to you so you can see the difference (BTW thanx Doug for the two P-14's -- one is heading off to be barrelled as a 458 Lott -- G&H open sight/express style stock on the way).

The extractor is different too -- the P-14 has a small tooth-like hook in the middle, while the P-17 looks more like a Mauser extractor. I don't think they are interchangeable, but everything else should be except the mag box.

On the topic of these beasts, I'm torn between converting to cock-on-open, or keeping my fantastic trigger pull with the stock military trigger. Once you take up the first stage, it breaks crisply, can't be more than 2 - 3 lbs pull . I'm sure if I change to a different cocking piece, it will screw it up. [Confused] [Confused]

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't the bolt diameter, but the P-14 has a bigger lug and no cone breech as in the P-17. This gives more meat on the bolt lug for opening out to 505 Gibbs, 416 Rigby, etc. I have several of both actions, if I think about it this weekend I will take a photo of each bolt to show the difference.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks John I would appreciate that. Any ETA on when you'll be set up again?

And thanks to everyone who replied.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
John Ricks is absolutely right ( as usual) the P-14 bolt can be opened up to .688 for a T-Rex while the 1917 bolt cannot. there is no rim left but the bolt lugs are sufficient for adequate cartridge control.If you build anything of .590 bolt face or greater you need to use a P-14 bolt even in a 1917 action,.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The firing pin diameter is also smaller on the P14

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question myself. Can the P14 extractor be use with a rimless cartridge, or must you use the M1917 extractor?

Thanks, Hart

[ 01-04-2003, 08:27: Message edited by: hart ]

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hart,
that's an "it depends" question. If it's a mag size or larger rimless, sure (303 and mag are the same size is why) if it's something less (.500, .473, 35 rem, ) then nope.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I was not concerned about the size of the rim. The M17 extractor can be modified to fit a magnum size rim. I was more concerned about the shape of the end of the extractor being the best one for a controled round feed. To me it seems that the M17 extactor will controle the cartridge sooner and hold it better than the narrow hook on the P14. The P14 will probably snap over the rim more easily if one hand feeds a cartridge into the chamber, but is it the best shape. When they changed the Enfield from 303 to 30/06 they must have changed the shape of the extractor for a reason. I was just wondering if a smith would prefer using a modified M17 extractor or is a P14 one good enough for a magnum size bolt face?

Thanks, Hart