New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 70 Feeding Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a custom built on a pre-64 model 70 action. Caliber 280. Not the original winchester barrel. Every indication is that it was a well built rifle. 1/4 rib, nicely done stock work, just a nice older custom. Problem is that when it feeds a round from the right side, the cartridge is high enough that the bottom corner of the extractor contacts the rim of the case and pushes the cartridge ahead of the extractor rather than it being pushed by the bottom of the bolt face. This causes it to act like a push feed action and the extractor has to snap over the rim when you close the bolt. Left side feeds correctly.

It appears that you could just grind the bottom left corner off the extractor and it would be fine, but I'd rather know why it is doing it before I go grinding on the extractor. It feeds fine, just take a fair amount of force to close the bolt. Could someone have altered the rails making the cartridge sit up to high? Wrong follower? Were the feed rails or follower different on the short magnum actions?

Thanks,
John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics would help.
1. H&H magnum actions are visibly different externally.
2. Short Magnum actions are stamped 458 on or near the recoil lug
3. The standard, original,extractor will have A stamped on the bottom

The rails could have been altered, the extractor replaced.
4. The feed rails are integral to the receiver and are wider on the short magnums. The various mag boxes have ribs in different positions.
5. The followers are different,Magnums are stamped M and the H&H are different as well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Same length receivers on all though; just the H&Hs are milled out to take the longer cartridges.
Could be any of the reasons air listed, and more.
If it is just a matter of hitting a little of the extractor corner, and it feeds well otherwise, I would relieve that corner. Depends on how much; can't be much or the cartridge would jump out. No way to tell unless I see it.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could not find any markings on the extractor. The third and fifth rounds rest lower in the magazine and do not have the issue. Seems to me that this might point to the follower being at the root of the problem. Does not have 458 stamped on the receiver.

Thanks,
John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look at your extractor; they are supposed to have a nice bevel on the lower corner anyway. If yours is sharp, then it is a replacement.
You can try another follower; first check the extractor and compare it to other originals.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a model 70 that is re-barreled in 6.5 x55 didn't feed worth a flip , scarred up cases etc. switched to a mauser follower started feeding slick .

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.