Find
Notify
Tools

how to adjust the trigger pull?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents
Earlier I have had some problems with POI/POA changes, and I think that some part of the problem might be in the weight of the trigger pull before the firing pin strikes the primer.
I tested the pull by hanging the rifle in the trigger and it did not fire. The rifle have a weight of 4,8kg (10,6lbs). I think that it is a tad heavy to squeeze the trigger, and I guess that some of the problem lies in the fact that some car wax have entered the mechanism when I used it as a release agent when bedding the stock. How to remove the car wax and to adjust the trigger to something lighter. I have tried to use the screw for it but it is still very hard.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huglu

you might want to tell everyone what make of rifle you have, and if its an aftermarket trigger what kind of trigger it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

If the gun did not have that massive trigger pull before the bedding operation and you are relatively sure it a result of the bedding operation, it is probably one of 2 things. It could be wax as you stated and that could be taken care of by cleaning the trigger with a solvent and blowing it clean with compressed air. The other possibility is some of the bedding compound may have found it's way into the trigger in which case you may need to take it apart to get it out. Take the trigger out and see if it moves easily when off the gun.

The type of rifle and trigger is basically irrelevant to the problem unless you have to adjust it. The type of trigger may have a bearing if you need to dismantle it but you are not at that point as yet.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the trigger possibly rubbing on the new bedding compound, or in the case of round bottom receiver the receiver may be rotated slightly creating a binding/interference situation???

It might be worth checking the trigger pull out of the stock before attempting to adjust the trigger pull, especially if the trigger pull has changed since the bedding job???

Just another thought....

Aug ><>

To Be Safe, First Think You Might Not Be.

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Its a zkk 602 in .375hh with original trigger and no extras. I have tried to use the adjusting screw as indicated in the owners manual, and it is a bit lighter now, but not close to what I want, I will probably dissasemble the rifle soon and see if i can get it fixed, the thing is that I need it this weekend for moose (bear?) and the next week as a life insurance when I go to Svalbard. I have adapted to the problem by carrying a shooting stick which takes care of the downwarping of the massive trigger pull.
I cannot recall the trigger to be hard before fitting it to the mcmillan stock, and nothing is in contact with the trigger inside the stock.

Will acetone remove the car wax?
/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will acetone remove the car wax?

Don't know about the acetone. I used a product I pick up at my auto paint supplier. Removes wax prior to painting. It takes care of paste was as well. Ammonia will remove wax as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
There still might be a fragment of epoxy that got behind the trigger inside the steel housing, or even into the adjustment spring. Spray auto carburator cleaner is the best for getting dreck out of mechanisms. Just be sure to keep it off the stock finish.