New
Find
Notify
Tools

education needed...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking to get some work done on my Browning HP and I am not sure what the descriptions of the work done mean...

"Fit 9mm Bar-Sto Barrel to Pistol with Hood Cut in Slide"

what/why would you want the hood cut in Slide?

"9B087 - Re-crown Barrel with 11° Crown"

why recrown the barrel with a 11 degree crown?

"Trigger Pull Lightened to 4-4.5 lb. on MK II Browning with No Magazine Disconnect (includes spring kit) TARGET USE ONLY"

what is No Magazine Disconnect? and why TARGET USE ONLY?

and what sights would you use for target use?

https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp51/cg...tstr=HOME:CP108

and what else would you do to improve the accuracy of a BHP?

thanks for the education, and sorry for the stupid questions...

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way to find out the answers to your questions would be to talk with your smith.

but,

Some aftermarket barrels are slightly oversized from facory ones so fitting is required. The barrel you selected may flare near the muzzle requireing modifications to the slide. It has been too long since I held a Browning HP so I do not recall if it used a front bushing or not between the barrel and the slide. But it sounds like it does not or at least you Bar-Sto barrel will negate its need once fitted. I do not know what your smith means by "Hood Cut" either.

The crown protects the rifling and the 11 degree cut will recess the rifling behind the end the the actual barrel to protect it in order to maintain accuracy. I expect Bar-Sto ships their barrels with a factory crown. Your smith may prefer the 11 Degree crown to the factory crown or he may like to do it as he does not know how the barrel was treated before getting to his shop. Thus it may be his insurace policy. On the other hand you can order barrels long and trim them to fit in which case a ne crown would be required. Again talk this over with your smith. You can always recrown later if you are not happy with the accuracy assuming the barrel did not require trimming.

The magazine disconnect is a safety feature built into the HP. Browning will reinstall it if you ever send it back to them for warantee work. What it does is prevent the gun from firing unless a magazine is fully seated into the pistol. It also typically prevents the magazine from dropping free of the gun when the magazine release is pressed. Although I expect this could be rectified and still maintain the feature if desired.

Listing "target use only" on the work order may be his way of covering his backside. He is afterall removing a factory installed safety device. Many do not consider it needed though, and some consider it a hindrance in a self defence situation. Your choice really.

My compition 1911 uses Bo-Mar adjustable sights for target work. I like them.

On a HP I would extend the beavertail to prevent hammer bite and allow a very high grip. I would also change out the hammer from a spur hammer to a "Commander" style hammer to work with the extended Beaver Tail.

Other things you can do: (really it depends on what you want to spend and what you rerally want it for)

Bull barrels are nice because they add weight forward which limits muzzle flip and equalls faster return to target and quicker sebusequent shot times.

An extended thumb safty allows a better purchase for you thumb to more easily click off the safety. An Ambidextrious safety allows you the click it off one handed with either hand. A usefull feature in some compititions.

Front strap checkering or stippling allows for a firm grip even with very sweatly hands.

Checkering on the backstrap prevents the gun from rotaing in your hand.

Beveling the magazine well can provide slightly easier magazine changes. Especially usefull for single stack mags although they can be usefull for double stack mags as well.

Some people claim that milling the top of the slide flat and milling in grooves prevents glare on the sights on really bright days. Should work well on bright blue or stanless guns. I found a matt finish on the top of the slide works well too and at less cost. Milling the top of the slide will reduce slide weight and may require a heavier spring to componsate. Your smith should balance that and tell you the recommended main spring weight post modification of the slide.

Titanium hammer, sear, and firing pin are lighter and can reduce lock time which can be condusive to better accuracy.

Hope that helps

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The magazine disconnector also impinges on the trigger mechanism, interfering with a good target-type trigger pull!

I believe this outfit is saying that a 4-pound pull is too light to be safe on a duty weapon. And some military organizations might require heavier pulls. I disagree, having a 3# trigger on my personal M1911A1 for combat use.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote