New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing a Mk V
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I've finally tired of the finish on my two Mk Vs and want to try something else. What is the easiest way to remove the glossy finish (method, substances)?

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bead blast with some fine beads and reblue with a matt finish. That gloss black finish is awesome and it is just a waste to get rid of it. Hey you got to do whatever suites your taste. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, am I embarrassed...I meant how would one remove the thick, glossy finish on the stock easily. I was meaning to matte finish the metal.
Sorry about that, and thanks Ming.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Brownell's carries a product--I think the name is Certistrip but I'm not certain. Either look in their catalog or visit www.Brownells.com. It is almost impossible to get that stuff off manually without messing up the checkering. The Brownell's product will work. Other types of finish removers/strippers aren't strong enough.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote