Find
Notify
Tools

Old action/ new trigger problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I'd appreciate any help from forum members. I have an old 98 mauser that I put a Timney trigger on in 1963. Trigger has always been set pretty light, but certainly not a hair trigger. Now when I work the bolt, the closing decocks the firing pin. My guess is that something in the trigger has either worn out, or the something in the trigger settings needs to be adjusted. Before I take it apart or take it to a gunsmith, I thought I'd at least ask first for advice from this forum.

Thanks!

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but had the same problem a few years ago . I took the rifle to a gunsmith and he reajusted the trigger, also a timiney and it has given me no further problems. Good luck.

Posts: 66 | Location: York PA | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are three adjustment screws on the Timney.The top one is weight of pull,the middle one is overtravel,and the bottom one is sear engagement.You probably need to adjust the sear engagement.Back the sear engagement screw out a bit until you see engagement threw the hole in the trigger housing.Once it begins to cock you can adjust the creep out of it for the desired pull.You have to get it so you can slam the bolt closed without it over-riding.It must be safe.I hope this helps.One other thing to try is cleaning the trigger with some sort of solvent, it could be gumed up.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate the information. As always, this forum has some pretty fair knowledge that's there for the asking!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "If your are not completely knowledgeble on your trigger/safety mechanisim, please take it to a pro."

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem but with a new Timney trigger. It worked fine out of the stock but would "fire" when the bolt closed or with a slight tap on the stock when it was all put together. Solution.... I knocked that steel tube out of the rear of the old military stock, drilled the rear screw area out to accept the tube in the new sporter stock and it has been perfect ever since. Perhaps the wood has dried and shrunk up and the action is torqued a bit when tightened. Just a thought. Good luck.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Update. Fix was not very technical - too much accumulated "varnish" was the problem. Sprayed some nitro solvent - actually a lot of solvent - and went out today to test it. Works fine now. Any kind of degreaser would have worked also.

Thanks to RayO - the window in the trigger assembly was the key to figuring out why it wasn't cocking. Glad I didn't have to either replace the trigger or have it adjusted by a gunsmith. Just kept spraying nitro solvent in, and wiped off the excess, then sprayed again. And again.

Just out of curiousity, I looked at the reloading dies that I got when I first had this rifle put together. Pacific Dies, I looked on the box, and there was not yet a zip code in the address. Guess these Timney triggers last a long time!