New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 SPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a pile of empty 6.8 SPC cases at the range last week. Interesting little round. Would be an ideal little round to start a youngster or a woman off with. Is anyone playing with this round ?? What would be a suitable little bolt action to build one on ?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I was in business I built two for clients on the KBI / Charles Daly Mini Mauser action. if I recall correctly it was a simple conversion.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Case head is from the 30 Rem; actions are hard to find which would work. Now, on an AR platform; easy.
.422 head diameter.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Remington and Ruger both offered them in a factory bolt rifle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not know that.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howa makes a mini bolt action in 30commie and 6.5 grendel. The grendel is pretty similar to the SPC. I think the SPC is mainly a black gun round.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You see them on GunBroker from time to time, more of the Remingtons. The Rugers generally go for a premium. Remington had several versions, some heavier than others.

Mine is a lighter Remington with a Pachmayr pad added and a Timney trigger.

Edit: I had it cut down a half inch as well to make it fit my girls more easily.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I was aware of the Howa and the mini mauser but I did not know Rem & Ruger are making some. Which bolt gun is Ruger chambering the 6.8 for ? The M77 or the Ruger American ??

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which bolt gun is Ruger chambering the 6.8 for ? The M77 or the Ruger American ??

I have no clue. Their site doesn't list the caliber. I have a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel an it is a tack driver. Factory stock and all.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also build off a CZ 527. You can get one of those with the right bolt face (30 commie or 6.5 grendel) and swap barrels. The main issue I see with the SPC is the case is relatively long, considering it was meant to run out of a magazine in an AR. This means light/stubby bullets for the most part. I think this is why they shortened the case on the grendel, so that longer bullets could be used and still fit a magazine.

The full size receivers would also work, it's just that the smaller ones are a bit more proportional to the small round. Like a rem 700 in 223. Yes it works, but seems overkill. The only advantage I see with using a full size receiver with a small round is you can probably hand load some longer/heavier bullets and not worry about AR magazine length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought of one more. There was (is?) a small mossberg MVP in 223 that could be converted. I think the main draw with these is they actually use AR magazines. The bolt nose had a little catch that would come down and strip a round. It would be more work than starting with something else, like opening up the bolt face. Also, I've not heard good things about them.

There are some other small bolt actions but they would be more expensive and harder to source. Cooper M38, Sako Vixen, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PTG has bolts for both the 700 and the XP100/600 Remington actions sized for the 6.8 SPC rim.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Which bolt gun is Ruger chambering the 6.8 for ? The M77 or the Ruger American ??

I have no clue. Their site doesn't list the caliber. I have a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel an it is a tack driver. Factory stock and all.

I found a Ruger Hawkeye with a 16 in barrel on the web.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Simply doing a search on the web I see references to 2007 or 2009 for it being available. However, I also see reference that it is no longer cataloged. So I "assume" Ruger dropped it.

So was available and still available used or old/new. Wink

It should work fine. I'm in love with my 6.5 Grendel. Accurate and will let the Grandkids use it for deer this fall.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, it was only available from Ruger in the Hawkeye for a brief time and not chambered in the American. Remington had a longer run and put out more than one version, so they are more common. I kind of wanted the Hawkeye but the few times they came up the prices ran over what I was prepared to pay.