New
Find
Notify
Tools

any one else feel inferior?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering if anyone else here got a severe inferiority complex when looking at Mr. Wiebe's work!?!

To be serious for a moment (quite a tall order for me), seeing Mr. Wiebe's work has really helped me. It is always good to have a nice yardstick against which I can judge my own work. Steve Houghe's "Custom Rifles in Black and White" has helped me tremdously. Mr. Wiebe's work and excellent photographs are helping me just as much.

I even bored a banded front sight with the ramp pointing towards the tailstock the other day. Drastically reduce the time it took for me to fit the ramp to the barrel after the band itself was fit. I had always bored with the ramp in the chuck and then totally fit the ramp by hand.

I am also going to try LocTite 271 on the next job where I need to attach a band.

Mr. Wiebe-I sincerly thank you for taking the time to post the pics and write the descriptions as you work on the scholarship rifle.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I was just wondering if anyone else here got a severe inferiority complex when looking at Mr. Wiebe's work!?!

No. He does nice work but "No", no inferiority complex here.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree mr Wiebe's work is superb and that having his and other's work is a useful tool in helping one critique their own work but I don;t think one should ever develop an inferiority complex. Knowing your nature, I'm sure that comment was tounge in cheek.

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread (apologies in advance) I have a question regarding the use of loctie as a band fastener: Does it hold up to caustic blue?

If this was discussed in a previous thread I apologize for asking again but I must have missed that discussion. I only used lead free solders and they worked well with both rust and caustic blues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, there are facts and there are feelings. It is simply a fact that Mr. Wiebe is better than I am (sort of like Cal Ripkin is a better baseball player), but it is not a complex.

But his work IS an inspiration for me to keep working and trying, just as is Mr. Worthing, Mr. Hughes and Mr. Soverns, to name a few.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, some folks sure are touchy! Confused

Right after I said I had an inferiority complex, I said I was going to get serious for a moment. Kinda figured everyone would understand, but maybe not.

One thing is for sure-Mr. Wiebe is definitely on the FWABTM list (Folks Who Are Better Than Marc Smiler). To be serious, I am definitely much better informed after reading his posts several times and closely examining his pics.

For those who want to study custom guns, if you like Mr. Wiebe's posts, you will love Stev Houghes' "Custom Rifles in Black and White." I have no idea how many hours I have studied that book.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The great Northwest not only has some of the best custom gun builders but some of the best rifle shots too! Just had to throw that in. We love our guns and shooting sports!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I understand what you are talking about. I keep looking at the pictures of the quarter rib and don't understand how he went to fitting a block of metal with a dremel tool and ending up with what he did. Makes me want to get a part time job instead of trying to do it myself.
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of shooter44
posted Hide Post
the loctie don't hold up well at all with hot salt bluing

head shot's don't leave blood trails

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If I were in competition for business I'd have the complex, but of course I wouldn't say so here Big Grin

As a hobby guy I greatly appreciate the fine photos and descriptions, a couple of things really helped. Seeing how others do it is always a great help.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanna feel inferior?? Go into the Beinfield show in Las Vegas and wander around looking at tables and tables of some of the finest guns ever built. Duanes are right up there with the Purdys, Rigbys etc and it`s so awe inspiring to see so many beautiful guns under one roof!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Mark,

When I look through Mr. Weibe's posts I immediately feel incredibly honored that he took the time to share his techniques with us. It's almost as if I got to spend a week with him in his shop and that IMO is worth more than a year in school.

Having waded through posts here for the past six years, information of the caliber he provided is what keeps me coming back here.

Thank you again, Mr. Weibe.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, no.

It would be silliness to compare my work with Mr. Wiebe's.

LOL.

More importantly, it would be a practical mistake. Philosophically, I believe we benefit most from concentrating on our own work, and not being distracted by comparisons with the work of others.

Always concentrate on the task at hand.

But... well over a year ago I searched the archives for Duane's posts, and have read every one.

I learned a lot.

Whether I'll ever be able to put this to practice is another matter.

flaco

N.B. The AR archives are an invaluable resource. If you know which contributors have credibility.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
...... If you know which contributors have credibility.

Amen, Brother!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a)pride in one's work to the best of one's ability.

b)one's reach should exceed one's grasp.

...leaving room for f'ing things up sometimes, of course.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote