THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Dakota.....How hard would it be to...
 Login/Join

posted
convert a standadrd length action, Winchester Model 70 or Ruger Mark 77 II, over to this cartridge. I know there would have to be some obvious changes in the receiver involving altering the bolt and magazine. Would it be more economical to get a barrelled receiver from MRC?

I already have a 300 win mag that I love. I am thinking about this as a potential project gun. It is a very impressive round. that generates pretty impresive ballistics from a standard length cartridge. I am not positive on going this route but would really appreciate any input on putting together a semi-custom rifle built around this cartridge. I would also appreciate any input on the cartridge itself. Thanks!!

Posts: 10 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
To give you input on the ballistics of the .300 Dakota, from www.cpcartridge.com:
150 Gr. Barnes TSX 3575fps
165 Gr. Swift Scirocco 3400fps
168 Gr. Barnes TSX 3415fps
180 Gr. Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition 3230fps
200 Gr. Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition 3050fps

It would appear that the .300 Dakota would give you 100-200fps greater velocity over the 300 win mag that you currently have.

The .300 Dakota gives you almost the same ballistics as the .300 Weatherby but in a standard length action. It also has no belt. One thereby gains theoretically improved feeding and accuracy advantages over your 300 win mag.

I believe a minor bolt-face alteration (from .532-inch to .544-inch) is needed when rechambering. The magazine will need gunsmith work to maintain mag capacity of your .300 win mag.

If anyone else actually owns one I would also like to hear from them. What velocities are you really gettig from the 300 Dakota, performance etc.?

posted Hide Post
I made a 7mmDakota on an Interarms Mk X action that was originally a 7 Rem Mag.Had to widen the receiver under the feed rail on the right hand side near the shoulder of the cartridge to keep the top cartridge under the rail.Opened up the bolt face and extractor a little.The magazine box is too narrow so the stack angle is different and the mag will only take two under the closed bolt.Perhaps cutting windows in the mag box at the shoulder would help this but I haven't done this-am satisfied with a two shooter.Hope this helps. Frank.