Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Montana Rifleman Barreled action ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks Guys,

My buddies are mixed on the twist. Some say the 10 twist will handle all .308 bullets light to heavy.
My thinking was an 11 twist, which I was told would take me light all the way to 220gr. That is not an option with the Montana barrels.

I am looking to have all the work done in house and not ship the action all over the country.

I never even considered a 12 twist.

Posts: 38 | Location: NY | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Savage,

I was looking for something Custom with a longer barrel. Thought their prices were reasonable.

Andrew

Posts: 38 | Location: NY | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I have a Montana action and one of their barrels I installed myself....anyone can install a muzzle brake however.....I'm happy with the stuff I have from Montana so far....

I too suggest a 1-10" twist

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrels I have used have all performed very well.
For bullets up to and including the Sierra 190 matchking, a 12" twist will do nicely. If you want to shoot 200gr and up, you might want to go to a 10. In general, you want use a twist sufficiently fast to stabilize the longest bullet you are likely to want to use and the rest will take care of themselves.
Obsession over rifling twist is a common malady and one to be avoided! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieger will cut anything you want: any bore diamter, any length, any twist, any number of lands and grooves and up to 1.25 inches in diameter in stainless. I have one of their barrels in stainless; it's 29+ inches long without the muzzle brake (from another manufacturer), which Krieger installed and tapered in to the contour I specified quite beautifully (the seam is invisible) and is just under an inch in diameter at the business end. It has nine flutes (an uncommon number) that look perfect on it. Breech length is four inches for maximum bedding capability. It is truly a beautiful piece of machining, cost just $500 and was delivered in 60 days. Bore diameter is .300/.308 and twist is 1:10. I say call Krieger, discuss what you want and be satisfied you have purchased the best. I was very, very impressed with what they sent me. If you demand the best, you will be, as well.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote