Find
Notify
Tools

New Bushy Carbon 15 rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Any have any reliability reports on the Carbon 15 rifles under the Bushmaster label? I'd like to think Bushmaster wouldn't have started pushing them out if they hadn't cleared up the reliability issues....

Thanks!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I owned one when the original company built them.

I couldnt get mine to shoot worth a crap, ended up selling it at a heavy loss

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if there are significant improvements or not. I have one of the Prof Ord models that broke rather severely. Bushmaster honored the warranty and fixed it virtually overnight. I've only test-fired one magazine since the repair, but it seems to function better than ever before. The repair order they sent back with it seems to indicate replacment of some parts that were not broken (at least during this episode), so maybe they have made some improvements. Time will tell.

I can't say enough about how fast and efficient their warranty service was.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid $1k for a Carbon type 97 pistol when they came out.

It had a very tight chamber, and would jam on reloads. The jam was so tight that I could not clean it with all my strength. It had to be pounded open.

The gun was the loudest thing I have ever shot.

I could never hit anything with it.

I shot it 4 times and sold it for $600.

Very bad taste left in it's absence.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this BM Carbon 15 the upper and lower receivers for an AR-15 made out of carbon fiber? Hey, it might work great for the brake rotors on Formula 1 cars, but who would want it in such a high-stress situation as a firearm that only gets used a few times a year? I'd certainly never risk it...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
I paid $1k for a Carbon type 97 pistol when they came out. The gun was the loudest thing I have ever shot.

What, you expected a muffled pop from a .223 with a barrel about the length of your weenie?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't pistol barrels on ARs SEVEN inches long??? I'd have no problem, well... you get the idea!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Carbon seems to be a sort of novelty. I had one in with a broken bolt after Pro Ord closed up. The locking lugs are round, so I had to shape a new bolt to fit. I think it might be a costcutting way to make the barrel extensions in house without a broaching machine. There are not many parts that interchange with normal ARs. If you are interested in one, I wouldn't think of it as the #1 battle rifle. If you want a semi auto backpacking rifle that will get rained on, or for some other unique special purpose, it might work. I have heard some talk of it being better than the Aluminum AR because of some self lubing quality, but I am not sold on that. I think the Aluminum GI spec AR is the way to go for everyday AR use.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An update...

I talked with Bushmaster today. They said they have re-designed the bolt and chamber to address the Pro Ord. defects/problems. I guess the chamber was a funky dimension and was causing extraction problems. Pro Ord used bigger extractor, bigger gas port, etc., but did not address the fundamental bolt/chamber issues. Bolt is now mil spec and chamber is same as other Bushys.

I guess I'm encouraged. Bushmaster has a good rep. and the resources (and the lawyers nagging, I'm sure) to address the safety issue of carbon fiber for a receiver.

I think a 4 lb. AR would make a hell of a coyote calling rig.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote