Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 tools, help requested
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
What tools would you consider invaluable for the 700?

I am tired of doing the pressure trick to remove the firing pin from the bolt, but am not sure what firing pin tools would help?

What about trigger swaps?

Fixtures, anything like the vice magazine block Ar-15's have?

Thanks Gents!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tools for what. there is a tool for the bolt shroud but I still use the edge of the bench and a dime to disassemble a bolt. I made a spring compressor to dis assemble the firing pin from the shroud. two small slave pins hold the sear in a Remington trigger while it gets installed. a slight bevel on the trigger pins help in the installation. a driver for the guard screws and other screws on the rifle. an inch pound torque wrench if you really believe it matters. a good bore guide and rod in the cleaning stuff.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A DIME? I can't afford that; I use a penny.
I use no special tools for 700s. I muscle through them.
(You do need a special inside receiver wrench but they are easy to make.)

Posts: 17289 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
A 3 position safety...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I have the bolt disassembly tool that Woodhits posted a link to and find it very useful. Don't have to use it very often but it's handy for us mere mortals when it comes to disassembling the bolt for gunk clean-out.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes!

That is exactly what I was talking about.

Is there a fixture or something that is ideal for holding the rifle while removing trigger pins?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have a whole drawer full of 700 tooling but most of it is probably not for the stuff you are looking at and the majority of the hand tools are custom made. Many don't look to """CUSTOM MADE""" either, but they do the job. Dimes and screwdrivers are an essential part of the home 700 tinkerer. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Is there a fixture or something that is ideal for holding the rifle while removing trigger pins?

I use a bench vise with padded jaws. There may be a more perfect tool, but it works well. Mount the vise to one side of the work area, hold the barrel in the padded vise and the action is front & center on the bench.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Buy the biggest, heaviest vise you can find. I use Gray #5s. Then buy a few sets of the cheap, magnetic rubber vise jaw protectors. If you are strictly doing gun work, pull the jaws out of the vise and mill them flat in the milling machine. You don't need the teeth and one day they will be your undoing. If the jaws are perfectly flat, square and parallel it also makes it nicer for holding small parts while you work on them and you don't have to worry about polishing out tooth marks when you are done.

Having to much vise in a gun shop is like having too much gun in Africa. Go big or suffer the consequences !

Something people NEVER think of when they get a vise is something to support the butt stock on. The first thing they do is try to mount a scope or remove a screw and put some pressure on the gun and it slips in the vise and horrible things happen. I use an adjustable rest on one vise to support the butt stock. The other has a swivel base so I can turn it and rest the toe of the stock on the bench for support.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair sell a firing pin removal tool that works slick.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote