THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Which factory rifle barrel in 30 caliber is generally most accurate?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which factory rifle barrel in 30 caliber is generally most accurate?
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering the purchase of a new rifle in the very near future.

Question:
My quest from all the learned nimrods in our respective forum is which factorybarrel is the most accurate,in your opinion?

Choices:
Remington
Ruger
Savage
Browning
Tikka

Posts: 18 | Location: Central Mississippi | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Looking to purchase a rifle based on it's barrel...hmmm. Barrels wear out and are easily replaced with much better barrels. Why not look for one with the features you desire. Maybe one with a proven track record for accuracy, with a wide variety of available accessories, easily obtainable parts? That's what I would look for in a rifle if I wasn't able to build my own. Anything on your list you see that meets this criteria?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Of those 5, Tikka has by far the best factory barrel. At least they did before the Italians bought them, but I believe they still make their own barrels.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Tika T3/Tactical some one year ago and round count is very near 800 now and can report the barrel has always been very easy to clean and no copper wash visible even after some 30 round strings in less than 30 minutes. Accuracy is very good, caliber 308, and w/ good loads is solid 1/2 moa rifle at about any range you might try. Will say that in the past have shot some Remington Varmint models in 308 that did as well, but after a fair amount of breaking in and vigorous cleaning exercises. Don't think you would go wrong with a Tika.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once went to the range with two new,unfired barrels in 300wm and fired the same loads in both rifles at 200yds.One was a new factory Winchester rifle and the other a Sako with a Krieger CM barrel with a muzzle break.To my surprise ,the groups from the Winchester rifle were much smaller than the other.Both groups got smaller,but the Winchester shot 5 shot one hole groups.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I once went to the range with two new,unfired barrels in 300wm and fired the same loads in both rifles at 200yds.One was a new factory Winchester rifle and the other a Sako with a Krieger CM barrel with a muzzle break.To my surprise ,the groups from the Winchester rifle were much smaller than the other.Both groups got smaller,but the Winchester shot 5 shot one hole groups.

Doesn't mean a thing except perhaps that the Winchester liked that particular load on that day.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Doesn't mean a thing except perhaps that the Winchester liked that particular load on that day.
and every other day,and every other load? Also had a Reminton factory 308 that couldn't be beat.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to accuracy and factory guns. You can't pick which manufacturer produces the most accurate gun these day's because someone will have experienced something entirely different. But you can pick a manufacturer who has a proven track record for out of the box accuracy. If one bases his choice on this more than "who has the best barrel", the odds that he will have something capable will then be in his favor.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
here is a pic of some groups I fired from my tikka t3 lite 30-06 this is a 6.25# rifle, loads are mearly what I thought looked good in the manual, no laddar testing, 4 different bullets 3 different powders, agg of all groups is in the .5's be careful with tikkas though you will get pissed off at the guns you have spent tons more money on. I have shot some .25 ragged holes with this gun, if I ladder tested the loads I don't have much doubt I could find a load that ragged holed. the only problem with the gun is I don't care for clips, or I would be an even bigger fan.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2 most accurate riflebrands of the mentioned, is Tikka and Savage, but not because of their barrelquality.
The Tikka because of its werry RIDGID reciever
The Savage because of its "FLOATING" boltfront

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the case of the savage it does have a lot to do with the barrel. Their barrels are button rifled while the virtually everyone else hammer forges their barrels. Everything else being equal, a button rifled barrel will generally shoot better than hammer forged. Savage does have some other things going for it like the self centering bolt head and easy headspacing due to the action nut, but generally their barrels are better than any other mass produced rifles out there.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Browning barrels are button rifled as well.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote