New
Find
Notify
Tools

left hand M70 to .300 H&H
 Login/Join

<Telly>
posted
I have a crf m70 in .300 Winchester that I would some day like to rebarrel as a .300 H&H. I assumed for a long time that the action was too short, but current discussions suggest otherwise. Are the "long" actions all the same? I measured the distance between the rings on my m70 in .375 and it was just a little bit longer than the .300 Winchester, but I haven't measured any other parts. I did notice that the .300 magazine appears to be blocked for shorter cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Receiver is long enough, but the magazine box, follower, ejector and bolt stop must be changed or modified. Plus it is advisable to mill the rear receiver bridge to the 375 H&H length, otherwise you may have ejection problems.

Look at this post, I pulled it out of the archives:

http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001608#000002

[ 11-06-2003, 05:40: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
Thanks, John. I would be better off with an action with all that aready done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily, that left handed action you seek can be very difficult to find and is going to cost you more money anyway. Consider John doing the work for you. I also find it comforting to send stuff to a gunsmith who is comfortable doing this type of stuff as a matter of course.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H I recently purchased used started life as a 7mm STW. As I understand it, you don't have to screw around with the magazine box etc, just rebarrel and chamber. Don't know if it's available in LH.

[ 11-06-2003, 17:55: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M70's in 7STW are a good buy, I just finished one that is now a 416 Rem. It is already the proper 375H&H length with the long magazine. So, if you can find one in LH, it will be a good action for 300H&H.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Telly, I sent you a private message.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Telly,

If your looking for something just a little bit different, or "Classic". the .300 H&H is IT. I have an older Sako as well as a very mint pre 64 M70. Both are great shooters, basically duplicating the .300 win Mag in performance. With Reloader 22/25 or IMR7828 one easily gets 3000 fps with 180 grain bullets. ALL a guy needs. Plus it will shoot the heavier 200 grain bullets too.

Anything to make a conversion EASIER is to your advantage. I'd look for one of the 7 STW's.

Good Luck.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
Frank,

I agree. I have a Mark X mauser actioned .300 H&H barreled by Harry Creighton about 1979. Great gun. I think the 7 STW would be the way to go as well.

Telly