Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 Actions Value
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted
In the past I have sold Pre-64 standard actions (270/30.06) for $650-Medium Mags.(264/338) for $750 and Long Mags.(300/375) for $850. On one web sight a guy has a long mag action for $2500. I was shocked at his asking price. What is the current asking prices for these actions? Dicuss!

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much closer to your numbers than his! Full rifles $650. Remember, you can ask anything. Look at how long some guns linger or never get sold.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say you are about spot on, maybe add $50 across the board. They have leveled out with the new ones being good quality.

I just looked at a standard mid-fifties 30-06 (complete rifle) with beautiful Wbee inlays in the stock and an add-on Monte Carlo comb and the gentleman was asking $800. Of course, he has had it for about eight months now, and the price is coming down.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
FN Winchesters really killed the prices of Pre-64s and slaughtered the prices of post 64 and "classic" m70s.

I can't see paying collector prices for any Pre-64, and I would never buy a post 64 or a classic, when the awesome FN M70's are so fully good.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
CDNN has FN Supergrades for under $1200.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless that action can be proven to have been pulled from Jack O'Connor's 270, that guy is a whack-job :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
I have talked to several people who deal in Custom rifles and 2 custom rifle makers about the new FN M70s, and they dont like them. The change in the barrel threads and the new trigger seem to be the most things not liked.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE: pricing.

I saw a pre-64 complete rifle in nice shape, with a Douglas barrel in 270. The guy was asking $750.

and, yes, it came home with me...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack too much, but what should a Classic M70 (CM-Standard) run? 400-500?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Not to hijack too much, but what should a Classic M70 (CM-Standard) run? 400-500?

I rarely see just the actions for sale locally. Complete rifles sell from $650 -$775.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are on the money Tom.

Guys are parting these out all the time and reaping ridiculous profits, usually $500-$600 for a stripped receiver and stripped bolt; I'd hate to see what it would cost to assemble one from there!

It used to be you could buy a nice receiver to replace a drilled up one or a beater gun with nice receiver to make one nice one and one good shooter and not break the bank.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you prefer pre-64 in 375 H&H you would score big time if you could bring one home for under $1500. It it's a pre-war, boost that cost by a few hundred.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several over the years. I have only one right now, a shooter grade .270 FWT made the year of my birth. I think it needs a new barrel. I will restore this gun eventually.

The reason I keep getting rid of pre 64s is I like M70 Classics and FN M-70s better for hunting tools. These newer guns are lighter, can be had in stainless, don't have issues with sprung extractors, std length actions are easily modified for a full 3.6" magazine, etc. Interestingly, none of my newer M-70s are in factory form. The closest just has a bedding job in the plastic stock--I bought it that way. The rest all have different barrels and stocks that what they came with.

If I were a collector then I would have a lot of pre 64s. As it is, I only want one very nice one to hunt deer with on sunny days in mild terrain.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like you said, check this one out. I think the guy is dreaming. It will probably sell though, just like all the idiots paying $90 for a brick of 22's./

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...n_30-06e#Post9613718

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Look at the prices for Pre-64 parts on Ebay. There is a bolt for $375 and a Pre-war Super
grade stock that has bids above $1300.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word...CRAZY! Now I wish I had stockpiled more.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I live in Idaho! where a pre 64 usually brings under a grand in standard calibers, The last two I bought I paid $800 each for a .270 and a 30-06 an in very decent condition..I bought a nice 25-35 mod. 94 for $800 and a decent mod 71 for $850.. and gas was $1.19 a few weeks ago but its $2.29 now..OH yeah, and we still pray and salute the National Anthem at our rodeos and in our school rooms.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
FN Winchesters really killed the prices of Pre-64s...

Not where I live!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe for the first year or so, but the OM's never dropped in value here that I could tell.

Lots of new ones sitting at Cabela's though with that $1200+ price tag.

Rich

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom mason:
I have talked to several people who deal in Custom rifles and 2 custom rifle makers about the new FN M70s, and they dont like them. The change in the barrel threads and the new trigger seem to be the most things not liked.

Mark Penrod told me awhile back he prefers the NH M70s.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
FN Winchesters really killed the prices of Pre-64s...

Not where I live!

Same here. The NH Classics killed pre 64 prices for a while. The FN changes have made pre 64's golden again. It wasn't broke, I don't know why they "fixed" it. I hope that trigger doesn't become a repeat of the Rem 700 recall.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does a guy buy a Kiton suit for $20,000. Why does a guy buy an Ivo and Tulio Fabbri O/U shotgun for $175,000. Why does a guy by a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porshe for over a quarter of a million dollars.

If I am wealthy (I'm not) and I want something, I buy it. And if I am just lucky I am the guy on the other side selling it to the guy that has the money to buy it.

Guys will put money in a savings account at 1 % interest for 10 years. So you have to wait 10 years to get somebody to pay you a higher price for your goods. Same difference, but you get to look at the gun every once in awhile.

People who are in sales tell me that they don't care about the thousands of people that turn them down, they only care about the few that take them up.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote