New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass bedding a wood stock Sako 75
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any idiosyncracies, quirks, or tricks I need to be aware of? How hard is it to remove the trigger group from the receiver? What else needs to come off (bolt stop?) to avoid epoxy getting in a small spot and screwing things up? I plan on using one of the Brownell's kits and following the instructions to the letter, but would like advice from someone who's glass bedded one of these rifles before.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has done this??? [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
KS: I'm sure someone has done it, but Sakos are usually bedded so well from the factory (at least the old ones -- I don't have any experience with the Model 75) that they usually aren't improved by rebedding. Those which bed into the crossbolt are well-seated and I would be hesitant to change that.

What's your Model 75 doing that indicates it would benefit from glassing?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine groups around 1.25" at 100 yds, and sometimes the group spreads horizontally, sometimes vertically. I'm still playing with different loads, but I'd like to be prepared to epoxy bed, just in case. The scope is good and tight, and so are the action screws. My rifle (75 Hunter Stainless) does have a pair of crossbolts, but I can't check their tightness because you need a special wrench with two pins.