New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose my next boomer
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I am kicking around a couple ideas on what I am going to do next... kinda got a bug to do a barrel with intregal sights/lug and might even do it in a quarterrib... I'll be doing the work, so don't worry about smith charges
I have the enfield action, will have the 1908 Braz mauser with gunparts mag, cz 416 takeoff barrel. stock... hmm, don't know yet

Option 1:
Enfield p17 barreled to 416 rigby, intregal sights/lug
english express rifle - ish

Option 2:
Enfield p17 barreled to 450 rigby, intregal sights/lug

option 3:
Enfield p17 barreled to 470 mbogo intregal sights/lug

Option 4:
98 mauser barreled to 416 rigby short or 416 taylor ( i have a cz take off barrel and 1908 action)
german stalking rifle (thanks to browningguy)

Option 5:
same as above, 416 dakota

Option 6:
98 mauser, 338 winmag, intregal sights/lug, still german stalking rifle

option 7...
take TWO mausers (i am thinking 1908 front, turk rear if i can't talk u-bob out of his vz-24s.. i MIGHT have found a use for a turk) and strech to 416 rigby/470mbogo

dang, too many ideas

Option 8..
take teh dang turk and a remington takeoff barrel and make it 338-06.. and sell it off

option 9: (final for now)
finish the 257 roberts on a mexican mauser i've had in the shop for 2 years (got the barrel with a brake on it) as an ultralight

option 10
mauser 98, ruger 375 take off barrel, 375 hh, english...

gees

your thougthts are appreciated
jeffe

jeffe
98 mauser,

[ 11-03-2003, 18:41: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Dang so many good options. Option 4 sounds interesting.

Another thought is a 404 Dakota. 2.550 case length. Great for the 1909. Brass and dies are available.

I am currently building one. (well John Ricks is, for me) I using the CZ 602 ZKK 300 Mag (from gunbroker) donor that you so kindly mentioned in a post a few weeks ago.

Going with a LW barrel, barrel band swivel, NECG Masterpiece front and rear sights, 3 pos safety, and McMillian Express stock.

The 404 Dakota case would also make a nifty 450 bore, for a 3.330" action. You can call it the 404/450 Dakota/Jeffe.

Good luck,

Bob

PS: I believe I sold you a Mex action last year. What did you build on it?

[ 11-04-2003, 21:38: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Shadow,
I thought I sent you pics.. I built a 376 steyr, with a high grade english walnut stock and a heavy matte finish pacnor barrel...

thanks
jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Did not get em. However, once you get over 50, your memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember the first thing.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If you do the two Mauser thing, you could plan your project into two guns. One stretched into a 470 Mbogo, then put the short parts together into a WSSM in maybe 257 cal? Make it an ultra light, but loose the break as they are too loud. Stretching the action would require lots of work, but it you have the skill for it then it would sure be unique. One of my gunsmithing books shows the steps to make a Win pre64 Mod 70 into a short action. I'm sure that's beyond me at the moment though.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 2.5" 416 Rigby.
Or you could make my 2.5" 475 Rigby wildcat....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what about doing a 423 van horn on a standard length mauser?

since you are going to be milling the barrel yourself you could do an octagon job with an integral 1/4 rib and make the front site and sling attachment look like they are banded octagon shape to match the barrel. In fact they will be integral but it would look real cool.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,
do you have the reamers for this monster, yet? the only real diff, other than .35" between your 475 and my 470 trollbane is that the trollbane would have started with a 460 weatherby case...

for what it's worth, in the nitro express rounds a .470 is a .475 bullet, and a .475 is a .483bullet, british nomenclature being what it is.
jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
d'Red...
I will rule out the odd sized bullets.. .411, .423 .418, and SHOULD ignore the .475s... I like to shoot allot!!

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Odd size bullets .411 and .423????

I have on hand the following .423's, for a 404 I don't even own yet:

350 grain barnes X
400 grain barnes X
380 grain Northforks
350 grain Bridger Solids(courtesy of Ray A.)
400 grain A-square Solids (leftovers from my 425 Express)

In .411 (for a 405 Winny Ruger 1H, I'm playing with):

300 grain Hornaday's
300 grain barnes X
350 grain Swift a-frames
300 grain Northforks (on order)
400 grain Barnes Super Solids

Heck in a 411 bore you can even use 41 mag bullets!!!

Graf's and DnR are both running s closeout sales on their Barnes .411 and .423 bullets. I got the 350's and 400 X .423's for $19.00 a box of fifty (is that cheap enough for ya?)

O yea, they are a little harder to find than a .416. I mean Sierra doesn't make a Matchking in .411 or .423........yet [Wink]

Regards,

Bob

[ 11-03-2003, 23:15: Message edited by: Shadow ]

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

Check out the Grizzly rifle Nickudu posted for me on African hunting.

You might like that barrel configuration. Rick Stickley did the metal work on that rifle.

Everything is integral. 1/4 rib, full rib, BBand Front sight, barrel band sling swivel and under the wood is an intigral recoil lug. Of coarse, all of that is an eternal PITA to engrave.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso! Pick a 404 jeff... it is really not so much an oddball and has been fairly popular throughout its history.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger,
the grizzly looks awesome...a little more metal work than i could do, but it's AWESOME

Smallfry,
I would do the dakota rather than the 404... you can't walk into carters (local reloading/hunting store) and get the bullets...

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I was going to warn you NOT to look at that grizzly rifle. I made that mistake and have been avoiding sending Roger an e-mail as I am afraid I will offer to trade him something for that kind of coverage on one of my rifles (i.e. my home, car, fiancee etc.) I didn't even save the pictures for fear I would become obsessed!

:-)

Red

Why not do a standard length action with one of Lazzeroni's short action wildcats? He has some real big ones. Or do the Enfield in his new BAMUFU cartridge? Is there anyways you could get the Enfield working with a 577-100-750? I read an old article that Nickudu posted about that thing and immediately decided that when I win the lottery I am having Searcy make me one before I got on my Big 5 hunt. :-)

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Id say finish the bob and think about it. [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
BB, do you have the reamers for this monster, yet?

[...]for what it's worth, in the nitro express rounds a .470 is a .475 bullet, and a .475 is a .483bullet, british nomenclature being what it is.
jeffe

A) no reamer yet (only need one), but I'll split it with you, 50/50. [Wink] The biggest difference is you won't have to cut into that receiver.
B) Not British. And just to be wierd, I call it a 12mm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, one of each, this way you will have enough projects for the rest of your lifetime.

On a slightly more serious tone, look at a 416 Howell. COL that will work through a M98 or a pre 64 M70. Or, a 358, 375, 458 Howell (Or 460 G&A short or 450 Vincent short). Basic brass is 404 Jeffery, 2.5" case length. Can use Ultra brass, just have to grind the reamer for the basic brass base diameter.

Or for the Enfield, maybe a 416 Ultra?? I am working on one now. First bullet down the tube will be the 450 grain Woodleigh. Action is the Olympic Ultra Mag with 3.85" magazine, and my reamer is ground with a throat to take advantage of the long magazine. Should be a good combination with the long 450 Woodleighs, and the long Barnes bronze solids

Or a 358/404, building one for BwannaBe. Blown out case to take maximum advantage of powder capacity, using Norma 404 Jeffery brass.

BTW, for those working with cartridges using Ultra brass, Graf & sons has 375 Ultra on sale, I just received a case of 500.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks for teh ideas and inputs...

I think i am going to take option 4, twice.. kinda..

got a cz 416 take off barrel for one and a AB for the other.

might do a same thign with 470

fun fun
jeffe

[ 11-05-2003, 19:24: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]