Find
Notify
Tools

stock layout
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
just playing around with Gcadd and jpg files.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those lines would be specific to the photo, and not necessarily the actual stock, wot?

jus' thinkin'...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is whether you can now take that file and put it in a machine and then cut the stock to the exact shape contained in the file?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Is the big shaggy dog required to lay out a stock or just highly recommended?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Looks like alot of work to duplicate twenty minutes of effort with lexan cut out, band saw and sharpie.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
She doesn't like that term so we just say BSD or Sadie.

quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
Is the big shaggy dog required to lay out a stock or just highly recommended?

22 WRF

I use General CADD because it most resembles Generic Cadd which I am used to. It has an image (jpg) import function.

You would have to import the JPG, scale it, redraw trace lines over it and export it, but it would still only be 2D.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually have solid models done in Rhino that I download into a ShopBot CNC router to make gunstocks and inlet them. I can be putting on a barrel while the router is making me a stock coffee

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
I actually have solid models done in Rhino that I download into a ShopBot CNC router to make gunstocks and inlet them. I can be putting on a barrel while the router is making me a stock coffee

would you care to go into a bit more detail on how this works, or show a few photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! more photos, we need more photos, it should be mandatory, if you post you should include photos.. dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of photos, but I'll be starting a raffle rifle for the US Veterans long range rifle team and I'll have to do a photo documentation of the progress on it. I'll post those on here as well as a web page. I'm using a Barnard action, and one of my prone stocks in a fairly decent piece of Claro. They haven't given me a barrel yet. But, I'll do a photo essay, I promise.
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
This sounds pretty cool. So if someone had a rifle stock perfectly fitted to their physic and shooting style would you be able to replicate multiple exact duplicates down to the inletting?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
The short answer to that question is "no". For that type of stock you'd need someone with a duplicator to copy your sample. I have tried digitizing an existing stock but wasn't at all happy with the results. I seem to be breaking new ground with this approach to stockmaking and the going is slow. I've even had several requests from Europe for information about what I'm doing. Right now my shortcoming is with the CAM packages that I have. I'm using one that came with the machine for 3D duplicating and another one that came with the CAD package for profiling. To do a proper job on bottom metal I need a 3D profiling CAM package and that is another $2,500 bucks. I will get there eventually! Thanks for asking.
Blair

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Clowdis,
I appologize for my tardy response...thank you for your very timely one.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote