THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modify SP101 - sights, trigger action, hammer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a Ruger SP101 357 Magnum with 4-inch barrel. Rear sight assembly is, more or less, standard design that you would have on any GP100 - perhaps a smaller version?

Front sight is the opposite of useful. It is a dovetailed-on assembly of metal that houses a cylinder of light focusing plastic. The feature I dislike most is that the illumination is entirely dependent upon a light source. With light, a bright illuminated circle. Without light, a standard pin.

In lower light, a 3-dot system would be appreciated. And were the dots using a light storing material similar to what is used for wrist watches, this is preferred compared with tritium or other self-illumination systems.
I have an autoimmune illness that is orders of magnitude more severe than rheumatoid arthritis. My hands are unsatisfactory for doing a trigger job on the SP101. While its trigger action is not a bad one, there is room for substantial improvement - improvement I cannot do for myself. I also cannot judge whether simple spring swapping is the complete answer.
This "improvement" is twitchy. My SP101's hammer spur is narrow and has sharp checkering. A wider spur would be useful for me, but I suspect replacing the hammer with an OEM hammer having a wide or target spur enters a place I don't want to be. Such a modification is almost certainly NOT a drop-in. Fitting would probably be required, plus an action job.

The only "fix" I thought of that might not cause more problems than it solves is a bolt-on or solder-on piece of metal similar to a Flaig's trigger shoe that does the same job, albeit on the hammer spur. The only device like that I've experienced, though are hammer extensions for traditional lever action rifles. Modifying one of them, though, is not a solution.

While this adjustable-sighted SP101 is a new offering, the basic system is long in use. Please identify gunsmiths who routinely gunsmith Ruger's double action family of revolvers.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Option B:

with all the work you want, might be less money and hassle to just trade in on an L-frame Smith.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen to that or a vintage S&W model 19 or 66! The current production S&W's are salty!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salty??? I think the new 686 Plus is a great handling and functioning revolver with the 3 inch barrel and 7 shots, what could be bad, or Salty with that?

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
In my circles, "Salty" is a compliment. Generally used to describe a man who is good enough to get the job done well. I expect Airgun1 can speak for himself though on what he meant.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well around here Salty means Pricey with a capital P!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote