New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 25 cal magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got the urge for a new rifle. I want a 25 cal magnum. I'm trying to decide whether to build a 25 WSM on a M70, or maybe a 257 STW. I don't want a 257 Weatherby Mk. V. I just don't like the Mk V action (personal preference, nothing wrong with the action). I would like to keep the barrel 26 in. max. What would be some options for a rifle with at least the performance of the 257 Weatherby? It would be nice if Winchester or Remington would produce either the 25 WSM or the 25 SAUM. Then my dilemma would be somewhat solved.

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I built my .257 Weatherby on a MarkX action.....loved it!!!

I'd say to use a Rem 700 or a M-70 action if you don't want the Mark V Weatherby action. Howa also is an option.

You can find cases that burn more powder than the .257 Weatherby but in all sincerity you'll not get more than a spoonfull more performance in a 26" barrel.

I traded my .257 Weatherby a couple years ago.....my .25-06 does all that it used to do!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this and I may build a 257 Wby on a M700 action. I can go to my local Wal-mart and buy a 700 ADL in 7mm RM for $400.00 and take the action and trigger and go from there. At one time, I was dying to build an STW, but I really don't want a barrel longer than 26 in. I realized the 257 STW needs at least a 28" barrel. I don't even use a 28" barrel on a shotgun .

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote