New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO M21 magazine box
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little information from anyone with experience with BRNO M21 rifles. I have a square bridge, 1951 M21, 8x60S, double set trigger rifle. My other M21, a 7x57, has a long magazine box of roughly 3.4 inches or more, and I was under the impression however all M21s had long magazine boxes. This 8x60S has a short magazine box with a length of 3.310 inches (stamped follower, not machined) which wouldn't seem to be a smart choice for an 8x60, especially with the long throat/leade on this rifle. Does anyone have, or know of an original BRNO M21s that has a magazine box with a length of 3.310 inches.

Thanks
DPV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no long or short magazine box.
The only one they used is the standard .3310 length.
Moreover it is an urban tale that you need a longer magazine box for the 8x60 because the long throated chamber needs for better accuracy the bullets set out as long as possible.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ZG47 in 8x60S. I don't know the exact mag length of my ZG but assume it's the same as it's 30-06 twin the max COL of which is 3.365".

I load a 200gr partition to 3.3" in the 8x60S. Seems the right amount of bullet in the case and it's still a loooong loaded cartridge.

So I don't think the mag box length is going to be a hindrance unless you're going with heavy monometal bullets.

Great cartridge!

posted Hide Post
Accuracy is reasonable, nothing special when loaded to 3.30". My m21 7x57 is at the smith's, so I cannot remeasure it to compare, but I remember it being longer. Wouldn't normal loads for the 7x64 and 8x64 require a longer magazine box? The 7x64 has a shorter COAL, but the 8x64 is listed as greater Tha 3.4". My ZG47 has a magazine length of 3.4 similar to yours. Just wondering if anyone has seen variation in the magazine length in rifles they have owned/used.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me , there are no variations in magazine dimensions concerning the M21.
Actually in my possession a 8x57 and 7x64 and 6,5x57 and 7x57 .They all have the same magazine boxes as had a dozen more I ownwd before.
The ZG47 also had the same magazine dimensions(but slightly longer / 3.4 round about). The reason is simple:
The ZG47 magazine box is internally of sheet metal so that the rear wall is thinner than the Mausers had , so gaining a tad more length.But an original Mauser magazine box will perfectly fit without any alteration to a ZG47 receiver.The 8x64 fits nearly perfect into a ZG47 (at least on paper) but in real world 95 % of common loads will fit the standard length magazine box (M21, K98 and others).
The 7x64 no problem at all.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information and the responses.
DPV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm back on this site after a 5 year layoff. The traffic is down but boy it's still a higher class than the crap in the UK where the ultimate appears to be a Tikka T3, a Sako appears to be better than any BRNO that walked this earth and talking of a ZG47 gets a blank look until you mention it's a BRNO at which point it's viewed as crap.

I think I would sell just about any other rifle I own before my 2 ZGs!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
There is no long or short magazine box.
The only one they used is the standard .3310 length.
Moreover it is an urban tale that you need a longer magazine box for the 8x60 because the long throated chamber needs for better accuracy the bullets set out as long as possible.

Don't see how you can argue that all M21 magazines are 3.31" when the poster says he has one that is longer. You can argue that it has been modified or replaced with a non-original part etc., but exceptions to all rules with firearms manufacturing abound. The only way you could prove your statement to be true is if you were to measure every single M21 magazine.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not necessary to split hairs.
What is discussed here are factory standards (original BRNO).
Correct measurement anticipated you´ll only find one standard length magazine box period.
Couldn´t argue against if somebody tells that he has a BRNO with a gunstock in pink.Certainly no factory standard.

Btw it makes no real sense to choose a longer magazine box for the shorter 7x57 cartridge even for a backyard smith.

posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
In retrospect, I may not have remembered correctly the measured magazine length of my 7x57. As it isn't in my procession right now, I'll have to remeasure when it returns. It makes sense that magazine lengths would be standardized on factory production, however, M21s and 22s do show a bit of variation in parts used. My 8x60s is long barreled, half stocked, with double set triggers, round bolt handle, ZG47 safety, square bridges with a guide rib bolt. My 7x57 is short barreled, half stock, single trigger, flat bolt, BRNO safety, round bridge, without a guide rib. The trigger guard on the 7x57 rotates forward toward the muzzle wher it disengages from the bottom metal to expose the rear guard screw. On the 8x60, the triggerguard remains attached to the bottom metal, but rotates horizontally away from the rifle to a position perpendicular to the barrel to expose the rear guard screw. The serial numbers on the barreled actions match the stock, so they are factory original, therefore I assume the bottom metal is as well.

Thanks for the insights, and I'll take some measurements when I can.
DPV

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 21, 22 Brnos without a doubt are the best non custom rifles every built. The are on small ring actions both G-33/40 and The mod. 35 German Customs actions..The all have .3310 magazines and long throats, They can be loaded safely to amazing velocities with bullets seated .284 in my cases with all bullets..They shoot 120, 130, 145, 160 and 175s regardless of the fable that bullet jump is detrimental to accuracy...Good barrels shoot end of story, and I have never seen, owned or shot a a 21 or 22 that wasn't a tack driver, I have owned a couple of dozen of them in my lifetime, my first one I paid $60. for and it was mint in 7x57 model in the rare 18 inch version manlicher. I don't own today, the just kept going up in price until I had to sell them, should have kept at least one, but I'm sure I will find one sometime in the future..My last one was a junker bought on AR that I built into a switch barrel 7x57 and 9.3x62 came with one nice barrel and another shot out 8x57 that I had rebarreled to 9.3x62, and copied the original split out stock with a super fancy Turkish blank..It shot like a house a fire and sold so fast I never got to hunt with it!! another sad day in my gun whore life..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote