New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weber Single Shot Bolt Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Weber single shot rifle bolt action at an estate auction. On the left side of the reciever near the tang is stamped Weber Lodi Calif. and on the bottom is stamped 1965. I found one article on the web that shows a rifle with the same action and it is listed as an "Al Weber" action. I gather from the stamping on the reciever that it was manufactured by Weber in Lodi Califorina in 1965, however I have never heard of or seen a Weber action before. If anyone has any information on this action please let me know. I would like to know if Weber is still in business or if anyone bought his action and is currently building it.

Posts: 213 | Location: Spring Texas | Registered: 27 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weber was primarily a benchrest receiver. They are not being made at this time. I think that the quality was good. You may go to www.benchrest.com and pose that question there.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a benchrest type of action, soild bottom , fast lock time and a Canjar set trigger. It is missing the trigger guard, however I think a Rem. 700 ADL will work or I can just make one out of stock. It appears to be very well made.
Thanks Rocky

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
They and the Hart and a couple of others were at one time the ne plus ultra for benchresters.

I know they had a good enough reputation that I've always lusted after one...just never ran across a used one at a good price. Of course there are some other actions that are no doubt "better" in some small way(s) now, but if a guy looks at the prices of current BR actions he has to ask himself, "Are the current ones worth that much more money?" For some folks (top competitors) they are, but for my uses, the new ones aren't really worth the $1,200 and more some are now getting for just an action.

It might be interesting to see if a Jewell trigger would fit that Weber, though for a varminter, the Canjar would likely be all one would ever need.

Which bolt face does yours have?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has the standard 06 bolt face. I got the action less trigger guard with a 22-250 stainless bbl on it,and no stock for $120.00 at an estate auction. I can build a stock and full length trigger guard and will most likely rebarrel it for 6mm BR or 6.5-284 Norma. It has a real tight bolt to reciever fit. I have never competed in a long range shooting match but will use the rifle for long range varmit and deer hunting from a stand on long senderos in Texas. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has no safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check and see if the Jewell Trigger with safety will work.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's set up for a M98 mauser trigger.
Look on that Canjar for any markings and post them -a couple photo's would be great.
Make sure to greese the lugs lightly.You got that fine old action for free at that price.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn
I wish it were a M-98 or M700 trigger, however it is not. The trigger is held in place by a single screw at the ront of the trigger and the trigger is recesed in the action. In fact it looks like that the Canjar trigger was modified to work in the action. The bolt head looks like a Winchester push feed but has a slot cut in the bolt head/face like a Win. control feed bolt to allow a spring loaded manuel ejector arm to come up and eject the spent cartridge.I have not removed the Shroud and Cocking piece yet, but these parts could be a Rem. or Win. copy, if so a shroud mounted safety cound be used.