Find
Notify
Tools

What I Did Today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
No rest for the wicked; today, Christmas Day, I threaded and chambered a barrel for 338-06 onto a Pre War Model 70.
Perfect fit, as usual. Snug threads, minimum headspace, perfect extractor slot, and perfect cone angle.
Can't do anything else on Holidays now, due to Covid.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know. I finally had a day off from work and was unsettled all day because I wanted to get on a project.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No rest for the wicked; today, Christmas Day, I threaded and chambered a barrel for 338-06 onto a Pre War Model 70.
Perfect fit, as usual. Snug threads, minimum headspace, perfect extractor slot, and perfect cone angle.
Can't do anything else on Holidays now, due to Covid.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
338-06 onto a Pre War Model 70.

Have one on a 1935 mauser, could use another. Wish it were mine.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always found it strange when Weatherby put the 338/06 in the Mark V Ultralite. I know it did not last long before it was discontinued. My thoughts were that anyone who would spend Mark V type money on a 338/06 would for sure would have it on the M70 or M98 and the Pre 64 a real attraction.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338-06 is on a 98 with a 27 inch barrel with a Kevlar stock.

I picked up at a gun show for the costly price of $200.00..

It works but not any better then any of the similar calibers.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is actually a great round; This one is a 4 digit serial number; first year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started my 338 a square around 2005 or 2006, been so long I can’t remeber. I get side tracked fishing bass tournaments and hunting. My gun projects get put on the back burner.

Barred action is pretty much done. I have one stock blank left, but not sure I want use it for the this project. If it didn’t have straight bolt handle I’d blue it and put it in Ogue stock and be done with it.

My 300 H&H needs a trigger which is on back order from Timney, but I do have bottom metal.

I keep saying when I retire I’m going to finish all my projects, maybe in a year or so.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
At least use a Boyds stock, for looks, and the bolt handle can be done in 30 minutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot about Boyd’s. First stock I inletted was a laminated Boyd’s. Plywood doesn’t cut like walnut lol. That was a long time ago, 20 years if I had to guess.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Billy, try a Jard mauser trigger, You'll never go back to Timney!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I think we were shooting big bore rifles at Keith’s place years ago and you told me the same thing. I’ll check their website out.

Thanks Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)