New
Find
Notify
Tools

CDL/TI Conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a NIB CDL Whelen. I just picked up a new takeoff TI stock from a 30-06. Question: How big a deal is it to inlet the TI stock for the CDL floorplate configuration, or shouuld I just get a new magazine box and triggerguard and keeep the ADL style?

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why you want to replace the stock? My 7mag in CDL kicks about as much as a 243, I've never felt a magnum with such light recoil.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to replace the stock for two reasons. The first is weight. My CDL stock is 40oz and the TI is 25oz. The second reason is cosmetic. This rifle will be used in the black spruce of Newfoundland. A couple of days in that environment will make that pretty wood stock look like crap. Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do realize that a long action Ti stock is almost certainly inletted for a "Mountain" profile barrel.

Some 35Whelen's I've handled have a "Magnum" profile barrel......

Keep the BDL/CDL bottom metal and get ADL parts
all you'll need is the magazine box, mounting screw, ADL trigger guard and a three screw set
(I just got a set of these screws for $10)

to put your action in that stock, most of those stocks are just a thin skin of fiberglass/kevlar over a foam core, so if you cut into it all you'll have is junk.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan: If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the only way to fit the Whelen barrel into the TI stock is to turn the barrel to "mountain" proportions?