Find
Notify
Tools

Lathe Threading Cutter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
Which kind of lathe thread cutting tool do you guys use. I am in the market for a new one and can't decide what I want. I will only be threading stainless rifle barrels with this one.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HSS from www.arwarnerco.com

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I use full form carbide for 90% of my threading now. Some Kennametal and some Mitsubishi. Cant tell the difference. Both work equally well.

Carbide Threading by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Now we use the threading bits one can get from Brownell's.

Works great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
+1 to Rod. I personally use all Kennametal.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for Rod. I have been using full form carbide inserts for a long time. Ba advised that they are TPI specific.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
HSS from www.arwarnerco.com

This is what I use too. I prefer the high speed steel for my threading whether in stainless or chrome moly.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used carbide from Sumitomo.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to grind my own threading tools back during my apprenticeship and used them for years. I now use the Warner inserts.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If you want to cheat, you can use 13 tpi carbide and just use wires or cut & check as you cut and you can make any thread you want as long as it's 60 degree.

The novelty of full form is that it cuts the crest or the point of your thread too and you can just check the OD as you cut. Once your OD is correct, everything else is correct. All of the old school knowledge of making and measuring threads is slowly being lost to CNCs and full form tooling. But that's OK too. If it saves time, it's better. Time is money. The first threads were probably cut with files. To hell with tradition, I'll take a lathe over that shit any day of the week!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
That full form sounds pretty cool. I guess I am old school. Hadn't even heard of that but in my looking I had seen the cool looking inserts.

Thanks guys, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cleveland Mo-Max.........

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've been grinding my own since 1964 and still do.
Yes Cleveland Mo-Max rules. tu2 tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I've been grinding my own since 1964 and still do.

Snap, exact year I started. Prefer the slower speeds of the HSS for the threads I do.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote