New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98
 Login/Join

<Swift Shot>
posted
I am looking at for the first time trying to build a gun using a Mauser 98 action. I will not be doing it alone however I need to get the parts. I am looking at building 338 win mag off of a 98 Mauser 8mm. The bolt face on the Mauser 8mm is .473 and the 338 is .501 (I am going off memory here guys so I dont know if numbers a exact).
My questions are
1. Will a 8mm convert with overall case length and bolt face.
2. Will I need to change the saftey to mount a scope.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as whether or not the action will take a .338 winmag I can't say for sure as I am not a gunsmith. I would be willing to bet money on it though, since I have a couple of magnums built off of mausers. (308 norma, 264win, 7mmrem).

Typically with a military 98 you will need to convert the safety as well as have the bolt handle reshaped to clear the scope. You might also need to change the trigger, depending on how you like yours to feel.

Good luck with the project, keep us updated.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift Shot,
You will not only have to modify the bolt face, you will also have to opem up the recever rails to feed the fatter cartridge.

The usual '98 action only allows cases of about 3.3" length in the magazine. You may have to load heavy bullets deeper in the case - this means taking up powder space and a long "jump" for the bullet to the rifleing.

I built a nice .338-06 out of a '98 and didn't have to do much to the action. A .338-06 Improved is availible if you want a little extra velocity.

Good luck.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the "I'll be doign it on my own" part (are you a machinist?) but it can sure be done.
I think the action can handle something like 3.45" COL, but you have to adjust the magazine setup. The rim of the WinMag is .532 I think, BTW.
Chambering a barrel is a huge deal, even with a $3000 lathe in the garage, if you have no experience with such. But you can do it if you read the right books.
As far as the action rails go, I would think if you were mice, one of the many WinMag conversion owners would give you the specs on their rails, and then with the right easy-does-it touch you could open them yourself. You may need a new/modified follower as well.

Let me be the first to break to you (if you haven't heard already) that you're not goin to save any money, and it may very well not be as nicely finished as a production rifle - but it will be yours.

338-06 is a wonderous 'cat, and does need very little mods if any to action. Check it out if you haven't.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Swift Shot>
posted
I have been really thinking of the 338-06 Akley improved. Looks like it would not be a problem since I reload. I will be give the bolt to a smith to open up the face to the 338 specs if I go that route. The 338-06 improved looks awesome as far as work to the gun goes very little I would have to send off. I will be purchasing the barrel from midway comes almost complete. The problem is the case overall length and the bolt face. I looked last night and I think the overall length will be ok. Its the bolt face and feeder rails that seem to need the modification.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to build a 338-06, you shouldn't have to modify the bolt face at all. With the AI version, you'll probably need to massage the feed lips of the magazine-but maybe not. If you're going to get the barrel from Midway, it will have to be reamed to 338-06 AI dimensions. The barrels come short chambered, so this shouldn't pose a problem for someone who has reamed a chamber before. If you haven't, I suggest you farm out that part, or start reading and learning. Depending on what cartridge the 98 was chambered for originally, you may have to modify the magazine box for length (X57 based cartridges are shorter then -06 based cartridges). FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser Modele 98 will make you a wonderfull 338 Win..Thats what mine is and I have had it for many moons...

Yes, you will have to open the bolt face, open the rails.. Add a M-70 3 pos. safty...The conversion is costly if done properly and just buying a Ruger or CZ would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Not in any order but:

l. rebarrel and chamber
2. surface grind the action
3. tig weld a new bolt handle
4. drill and tap for scope bases
5. add a new magazine box from Blackburn
6. add iron sights from NECG (optional)
7. purchase wood and stock the rifle
8. blue
9. Blackburn trigger
10. Fittings: recoil pad, grip cap; swivels etc,
11. finish, sandpaper etc.
12, modify bolt reslease

Just off the top of my head, may have left something out...some things are optional, but the more you leave out of the above list the more the gun will approach cobbleization...

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Swift Shot>
posted
I will be going with the 338-06 AI. Lot easier and cheaper to build. Without to much of a loss in speed but a less kick.

Thanks