New
Find
Notify
Tools

A.I. mags for a .458 Win mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to work out the details on converting a Model 70 .458 to take larger capacity removeable mags.

CDI makes bottom metal that will take AI mags in .300 Win Mag. Those mags will take the first .458 Win, but the ribs that stop the bullet tips from battering in a .300 also stop the single stack mag from swallowing the .458 cartridges. I'm thinking that milling out the ribs would work, leaving windows that the cartridges could be counted through. Alternately, maybe the ribs could be blacksmithed out.

Any thoughts or alternate systems would be appreciated.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
mod a 1918 bar magazine

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a long loaded magazine hanging under a .458 firing the normal 500 gr loads there is a good chance that the recoil will damage both the rifle mag well and the magazine.
You will have to take special care (planning) to make it recoil proof.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
mike we converted a model 70 .458 AS well as the Remington 700 also did a 338

a guy in Florida makes the right bottom medal for a win model 70 pre and post 64

takes a bit of mill work

it is an -- ai -- 10 round clip some minor issues w the clip

shoots good and retains the clip under rapid fire

call me and I will fill you in on the process

thanks frank

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do that. I thought you had only done Remingtons. I may do my 700 in 375 as well, just to have more buffalo culling options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that the guy in Florida is CDI Precision Gunworks? I've got one ordered on spec, hoping to make a buffalo culling machine. dancing

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
that's right

we set up a post 64 m 70 for joe Smithson ---right handed---

one of my old guns --not a reversible mod !!

then we had the same clip fit up issue with 458 win mag rounds you are stating but ---

so did have a clip feed problem with the A.I.

ribs will not let the 458 bullet down

joe compressed [reformed the clip] got it to feed 6

then we ''can opened up'' both an AI and a Wyatt type clip and learned much the Wyatt clip is rigged with a double spring lift system so it feeds all 10 the AI only feeds 6 reliably to date and will require a refit mod

Brett -Joes boy is working the fix [he is the smart one in our bunch] but with all the hunting and fishing going on right now we have not yet got back to it

we feel we are close to a work over for the AI clip but it ain't like the Wyatt clip that works right out of the box on all belted rounds

from 7mm 300 win mag 338 win mag 375 h h and 458 win mag

but needs a 700 bdl to mount to so

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
also the AI clips are harder to get and more costly than the Wyatt's

when you set up with 6 per gun that starts to add up a bit

I will just say the m 70 is a crf yes

but the Remington is fast slick and so on

need the load you put in the 350 tsx Barnes rounds you fired last week I called ty there at Barnes and ordered 1000 bullets

plan on loading 458 using your Australian primer powder recipe when I go down

so

fyi to date we have set up 4 rifles with bottom feed clip systems

Wyatt bottom medal and clips
--rem 458 win mag--
rem 338 win mag
--rem 7mm rem--[which I do plan on barreling to 375 hh]

then the m70 458 win mag using the AI clips

I am working a plan to get to Darwin last week of October first week of November this year

if the stars all line up which looks ok from this view so

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
we should explore going down together next year

pay for 150 head each

and test Tony and Barry's medal

ha

if there ever is a next year

One of Us
posted Hide Post
71 grains of H4198, 350 TSX, 215 primer. That wasn't even maximum in my rifle,(or most manuals) but shot to the same POI as several other bullets that I was "testing". Velocity is 2650 in my 24" barrel.

H4198 is ADI 2207. That's important when you load at that end.

I'm not entirely married to the 10 shot .458 M70 idea yet. I've got a .375 700 that could undergo a bit of surgery if necessary. HS Precision also has a setup for that that will take a BDL inlet. Dang decisions. 'Course taking both isn't out of the question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got my dates penciled in; if there is a next year. 10 days x 15. Big Grin If there isn't a next year, the subject gets academic.

quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
we should explore going down together next year

pay for 150 head each

and test Tony and Barry's medal

ha

if there ever is a next year

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Joe got back from south America yesterday so I dropped by the shop and looked at the clips we opened up

he reminded me that the AI clip feeds 6 down as is

which turns out he just hammered the ridge down so the 458 would slide by

he has a secondary spring to add to the clip that will improve feed of the last 4 but that will require addition of a lift spring to all clips modified so

if you want him to do the work for you I could set that up for ya

give us a bit of time to get the white rat work done first

your ks Remington stock is a bit nice to cut up to fit a Wyatt system seems to me
so

I will be shooting that load soon thanks for the info

10 x 15 = 150 or if a man is lucky a few more

long time with no whisky --about the only draw back

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HS Precision will drop into the BDL inlet, so I could go that way. It still wouldn't be a .458 though. Makes me regret not buying that .458 Custom Shop 700 awhile back when I had a chance.............. Frowner

I can get a CDL in .375 without a lot of drama; and start from scratch. Rebarrel to .458, but then I may as well start with an action. I'm assuming that that's what you guys did?

Tried phoning last night.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
what I did was buy the cheap 7mm BDL in 7mm

then I put a 458 barrel job on it with the same weight and contour that a ruger #1 has

used a 458 ruger #1 barrel re thread and re chamber

and good to go one guy on here has one for sale for 125 bucks

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
sent you several pic s via email

shows the clips and clip mod as well so

call when you get a good look at the photos

we got the ai clip feeding 10 running good on the m 70 so

the cabala 458 rem 700 seems to not be in lehi

did you grab it already

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can mod my M70 I don't need the .458 700. I can and probably will do the Wyatt mod on my Safari grade 700 in .375. Since its reversible I have little to lose except for parts. Can I post pics of your converted M70?

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
yes I would post them but I am a bit to simple minded to do that

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The magazine mods seem to be adding a spring and blacksmithing the rib down. Hmmm, hitting things with a hammer brings out the oil rigger in me. Big Grin

There's also a little snip of metal to remove on the action and an inletting job on the wood, but all around a small price to pay for so much AWESOME.

I can see how the 5 shot mags could fill in where only half as much awesome is required.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
mike we cut the coil spring off at the 5 leaf in the larger spring

took a strand if fine soft wire and tied the smaller coil spring to each fold in the original spring right at the front so 5 twist and tie offs snapped it all back to gather and wa la it feeds

the smaller coil spring is out if a rifle tube so I do not have a spec spring for you but it is a soft lift

we are looking for more to fix the other clips so

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magazine tube springs would be easy enough. Some of these old saddle guns of mine could be treated to new springs and I'll cut up the old ones.

Or cut up a new one and leave the Winnies alone.

Another option might be mag springs from a 1911 or similar. It doesn't hurt to treat an old clip to a new spring once in awhile.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
the one we used was a push spring in a 44 40 hennery lever action this is a short segment of the longer feed spring

so

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CDI bottom metal and 1 5 shot mag showed up today. As for how long it will take from here, let's just say that we'll see how much pull I have.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
yes I would post them but I am a bit to simple minded to do that

Dang that is crazy looking.....I like it

====================================================
Guerrilla Machinist
Percussa Resurgo * Molon Labe

Posts: 2 | Location: Dover Foxcroft , ME | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the M70 up and running with the 5 shot magazine. What we did was cut out the rib on one side and massage the lips some. Next is to do the tens when they arrive.

It does feed the Lott cartridges a little smoother than the Win Mags, but that's fine. I rechambered it at the same time.

Now, its just to work up loads on the longer cases and wait for news on buffalo culls. dancing