New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Tupperware bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At issue is a Classic in .300 Rem Ultra Mag.

It wasn't shooting very well, so I took it out of the stock to check the bedding.

Winchester used some kind of "rubberey" compund that was cracked and broken up. I has a hole in the face of the recoil lug and 3 in the action flat. All but one of those are sheared off and the bedding came out with the barrelled action.

No, do I need to get those holes cleaned out before rebedding? Do I need to trim up the "thing" that came out and put it in the bottom of the lug mortice to control how far into the stock the action goes?

Whose and what model of bedding compund is recommended for this Tupperware stock?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got rid of one of those tupperware winchesters for the very same reason. I tried to re-bed it with accra-glass and devcon, neither one stuck very well, I got disgusted and gave up. I hope someone comes up with a good answer. If nothing else comes up try calling Brownells tech reps and see if they have any ideas.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did one also, if you are carful, you can bed with devcon and it will stick. You need to drill a few holes where the bedding goes to have "purchase" area. I also don't guarantee them. Those stocxs are a POS.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I just did one also, if you are carful, you can bed with devcon and it will stick. You need to drill a few holes where the bedding goes to have "purchase" area. I also don't guarantee them. Those stocxs are a POS.

You have the POS down right! Thanks, Jim

AH

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
IMO, they are not worth spending any time on at all. A cheap Ramline stock is far superior.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know what the crap is Winchester used as bedding material?

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:

I don't know what it is but if it crumbled it is likely just an epoxy without much filler and too much hardener. I wonder how old the rifle is? The .300 RUM has only been out 10 years I think. Maybe Winchester would repair it free. I'd contact them and ask. It couldn't hurt. Those holes were probably put there to mechanically lock the bedding to the rifle. Probably need to use a medium hard epoxy with glass flock filler. That would correspond to 15 min clear Devcon with blown fiberglass insulation as flock.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had a .270 Win tupperware. Looked like plain ol' hot glue to me in there.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know that hot-glue schit they seel at Lowes?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

You know that hot-glue schit they seel at Lowes?

Say it ain't so!

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I flat refuse to bed anything remotely resembling tupperware. The material is way to flexible to provide any substantial support with or without bedding. I second the Ramline for a cheap alternative.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eureka! A new way to bed! I have a hot glue gun and some sticks; thought they were worthless but now...I r in the Wnchester bidniss!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eureka! A new way to bed! I have a hot glue gun and some sticks; thought they were worthless but now...I r in the Wnchester bidniss!

Just stay out of Utah! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

I like Utah...I promise to throw my glue gun in the Mississippi River on the way west!

Jim

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
As was mentioned before, the plastic stocks needs a few holes drilled randomly where the bedding goes. The bedding will get pushed into those holes and then get locked into place when it dries.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Good chance the plastic used in the stock has a release agent mixed in to keep it from sticking in the mold. Pretty hard to get anything to stick to that material - without a mechanical lock.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
Good chance the plastic used in the stock has a release agent mixed in to keep it from sticking in the mold. Pretty hard to get anything to stick to that material - without a mechanical lock.

It also helps to scorch the area with a propane torch to remove any realease agent or smooth surfaces. Acraglas gel has some flex to it and seems to stick ok.