New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley rings questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im thinking of trying some Talley rings and bases for the first time on a FN 98 action ,to mount a luepold 2x7x33.

Ive looked at the low ring heights

Are talley low rings about the same height as luepold standard medium height rings?

Looks like the talleys lows arent as low as luepold etc. lows

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You have it right. The low Talley's will work out great for you.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP, give them a call, the customer service there is first rate.
I got my first set of rings and bases for my custom project and the fit and finish could not be any better.
I did notice that the rings have sharp edges, so you will have to de-bur them. I did this with a bit of emory cloth.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, Ive "heard" talleys will scatch/damage the scope finish. What's with that? Pay that much$$ for their rings and you have to chamfer or debur them?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went through this. Tally's low rings and base about equal in height to Leupold medium rings and Redfield type base.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are Talley lows the same as warne mediums ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Jimmy, Ive "heard" talleys will scatch/damage the scope finish. What's with that? Pay that much$$ for their rings and you have to chamfer or debur them?

GSP7, if your rifle action is perfectly level, square, and your holes are drilled in a perfect line, Talley rings probably won't scratch your scope. The problem is that very, very, very few actions are as square and straight as they should be. A set of alignment rods (the ones with the points) will show you what I mean.
Lapping rings is a way of fudging for any inaccuracies on your particular action. The Talley rings and bases are made to much tighter tolerances than most recievers and are therefore somewhat less forgiving of misalignment But that doesn't mean they aren't one of the best made and strongest ring systems you can buy.
The only really bad thing about them is that once you start using them, most guys want to switch over all their other rifles to them and it can get a little expensive. Smiler. If you try them you'll most likely love them. I just got a package of them today for 2 buddies who tried them once and are buying more...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,,,, How are the permanant rings? Or should I just get the detachable rings without the lever?
I like the one screw top on the permanant rings

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Talley base and ring sets do not seem to be as low as some other mounts. Perhaps if Talley made lower bases then they would be as low as some.

As to the "tolerances" being tight or whatever on Talley mounts I need some clarification. To me "tolerances" mean that every product is made to the same dimensions with very little variation as compared to other products. I don't see such effort on Talley mounts. To me the finish, design and tolerances are second rate or worse.

Besides the admitted rough inside finish of Talleys rings the mounts are too high due to the afformentioned high bases for many applications. Another thing is that the rings leave an open space at the top of the ring that will catch water and crud. For the high price they charge for them I don't see the value in any way.

As to the alignment of the rings it could be tough on a Mauser as who knows who made the gun and to what dimensions. Only some mount systems will align like the Burris Signatures that I suggest. Keep in mind that due to the high Talley bases you might not be able to see iron sights over them either.

If you do get the Talleys anyway the you might as well get the detachable version after spending that much.

Some machine the bases on mounts like this to align the scope to the reciever.

If you don't align and lap any brand of rings like this they are going to cut the scope tube. A quick way to avoid most of the damage is to open each ring a little before placing it on the scope. When you tighten the rings screws it will conform to the scope again.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote