Find
Notify
Tools

Vanguard Barrel/caliber swap ?s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
I got the DumbAzzed itch for something I can't really afford and am looking for a cheap fix.
I have clean used 300Wby Vanguard in a Dlx wood stock spotted for about $350 out the door. What are the issues involved and costs concerned with swapping out the barrel for a 416 Remington since both the 300Wby and the Remmy are based on the basic H&H length round?

I also have a M70 Classic 300WinMg SS/Syn...would it be a better donor to come out with a 416 Remmy...I know it would take a 458WMg barrel convewrsion with little or no alteration, but I seem to remember seeing some posts about needing to cut a notch in the ejector port and re drill the rear scope screw holes yadda yadda.

Or would it be cheaper and easier in the long run to just buy a CZ 416 Rigby and tweak it as necessary - glass bed the stock etc?

Since I already own the 300WMg if it is not converted, it, or my 9.3x62 CZ, will go across the pond as the light half with whatever I can come up with for a heavy half and I like the 416's flatter and longer range. Rigby ammo is a pain though compared to the Remmy's. If CZ made a Remmy there would be a no brainer choice. Any comments appreciated.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Lots of Pro's and Con's involved here. The Weatherby (Vanguard) action is certainly long enough for the 416REM and the biggest drawback I can see would be feeding. With the larger diameter bullet, I can see the case hanging up about 1/2" into the forward stroke. Considering that a good smith will get $125 to $300 to make it feed right and at least $160-to $300 cost for the barrel and $165 to fit it, at a minimum of $450 + $350 ($800.00) it's not cost effective. Take the $350 you would put out for the Vanguard, buy the CZ and pay for brass and come out ahead. Brass is about $33 a box so, 100 are about $165 and that is for Norma, just about the best brass available. I think the CZ can be had for about $1000 + $165 = $1165 - $350 (Vanguard) = $815.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote