Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel finish
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a new Remington 700 ADL this past year. This rifle has a black synthetic stock and a black matte finish. Although a lot of people have had trouble with Remington rifles, this rifle seems to be working just fine. The only thing I don't like about it is the cheap (rough/porous) matte finish. I would like to improve the finish on this rifle, but I'm not sure how to do it. Would a good beat blast finish be better then the factory matte finish ? Any suggestions other then buying a new barrel would be appreciated ? Ben243

Posts: 32 | Location: EAST COAST | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Ben243,

I don't believe "a lot" of people are having problems with the Remington rifles. You are probably hearing more about Remingtons because there are so many Remingtons out and about.

I see a lot of different manufacturers rifles with various factory problem come through my shop. The problem is, they are mass produced and not quite finished, or, what the customer needs when they reach the public. But never fear, that is why we are here!
[Smile]

That matte finish on the Remington is not bad as far as factory finishes go. It is a little rough to look at and will shread a shop towel in seconds, but that is what sells these days. "Tactical" is the word of the day...

I wouldn't waste any money changing the finish until it wears off. Instead. use the money to have the trigger improved, the barrel recrowned and perhaps bedded. You know, "improvements."

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talk to your local 'smith and find out what he uses for beadblasting/sandblasting. Using differant materials, and grade of materials, will result in a differant finish. For example, coarse sand will result in a rough finish (which is what some people are looking for) whereas a fine material, of powder like consistancy will give you a finer, but still matte fimish. You might also check with automotive re-finishers in your area, specifically the people who work on rods and restorations, they use a variety of materials for differant jobs. Once the metal is stripped/polished by the blasting material, you then have to decide on the external finish (blueing, parkerising, etc) and this too will effect the final look of the metal. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Fifteen minutes on a 240 grit polishing wheel will remove all that cheap black rem Epoxy barrel finish. Have the action and barrel Blued by a competent Gunsmith for about $125. If you have the barrel bead blasted or wire brushed the Blue will be more matte like in texture. It will dramatically improve the looks of your rifle.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote